Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting picture thread--weak bellies beware!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Snagged a decent sized doe opening weekend, and here is her heart & liver.

5.56x45 75gr Hornady TAP T2 @ ~85yds. Bullet was caught in the hide trying to exit the opposite side. I found it, but lost it in the grass under the gut pile. Looked mostly intact.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, beautiful vitals shot. My round clipped the tip of the heart, thankfully I was able to cut that piece off and still leave myself a nice looking heart for this today when I had lunch:

Made Boiled Deer Ticker with a whole small onion, garlic powder, a little cayenne, too much thyme, a shite-ton of pepper and salt, butter, and basil.

Turned out fantastic on it's own. I cooked it in the crock pot for 5 hours on high, when it finally boiled, I put it on low and left it overnight. It was a fantastic middle ground between a meaty bite with a liver-ish finish.

Nonetheless, I am amped to get cooking through this meat this winter.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-14-18 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    ...Made Boiled Deer Ticker with a whole small onion, garlic powder, a little cayenne, too much thyme, a shite-ton of pepper and salt, butter, and basil.

Turned out fantastic on it's own. I cooked it in the crock pot for 5 hours on high, when it finally boiled, I put it on low and left it overnight. It was a fantastic middle ground between a meaty bite with a liver-ish finish....
    Thanks for the recipe idea! Though I already ate the heart that night. Thin sliced and pan fried in some butter & Tabasco over my camp stove.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Thanks for the recipe idea! Though I already ate the heart that night. Thin sliced and pan fried in some butter & Tabasco over my camp stove.
    That is always my kill day dinner- sauteed deer heart.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The 2018/2019 season has been tough in North Central Texas. We’ve been covered up with water. Water holding everywhere and wheat fields are flooded, which should be great for us. But, the lack of snow in Nebraska and Kansas has kept our birds from arriving. The birds we’ve had have been scattered everywhere, and birds may be there one day but don’t return the next. We are still shooting birds, but nothing like the in the past. Finally, we caught a push of birds, that I estimated around 6,000-10,000. The day after was a lot like previous hunts with birds not returning to the same hole, but 2 days later we hit jackpot.

We found and set up right on the X. We shot a 5-man limit, but 10-12 wouldn’t have been a problem. We had waves of Pintails 100-200 strong. It was a beautiful morning ~60 degrees, and we had a great hunt and watched a hell of a show (1000-1500 birds). Unfortunately, our geese were roosted on our hole or we would’ve been pushing 5 limits of Canada’s too.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Completely jealous!! Great bunch of birds! We've been duck hunting most every weekend and mainly shooting divers with a few woodies and mallards mixed in. Haven't seen a Pintail all season much less anything else.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My buddy runs a guide service, and I guide for him when I am home. It’s a great deal for me, because I get paid to hunt. I don’t mind the years when the oilfield is slow during duck season. Past years I have hunted 4-6 days a week for weeks, and it can be exhausting.

So far this year, the Gaddies haven’t arrived in the usual numbers. The Widgeon and Mallards are killing us by not showing back up. He guarantees birds, so we spend a lot of time scouting. We aren’t shooting many Cans, either. Heck, some days we have to have the Ringers just to make a hunt. We’ve had Bald Eagles hurt us in some spots.

I’ll get home for the last 5 days of the season, and hopefully it will be exhausting. The following weekend, we’ll be headed to the Panhandle for Quail.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Early season we will get GW Teal in but after that mostly shooting Ringers and Blue Bills with woodies and mallards mixed in. There is a lake I hunt fairly close by that get Cans and Redheads in the later part of the season but I won't have a chance to go there this year. The divers are fun to shoot though. Like trying to shoot down little fighter jets when they buzz your dekes.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I’m receiving good reports from home. Sounds like I’ll have an exhausting end to the season. I’d rather just hunt with my buddies, but I’m prepared to take clients too.

I love it. Growing up, I use to think duck hunters were queer. Then, I started doing it and realized that I’m queer. Waterfowling is my favorite challenge.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice work! And good luck with the quail.

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast