Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting picture thread--weak bellies beware!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    I don't sell the skins of any of the ones I kill.
    Oh... I just see it as another plus to hunting them. Do you do anything with the skins at all? Them ones look like they had mange or something.

Do you use a electronic call or a mouth call?
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Oh... I just see it as another plus to hunting them. Do you do anything with the skins at all? Them ones look like they had mange or something.

Do you use a electronic call or a mouth call?
    They did have mange. As much land as we have, there's going to be a couple with mange every year. I don't do anything with the skins. We hunt them to protect our livestock and wildlife. We kill them, make a pile, and take a picture.

Both electronic and mouth calls.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    They did have mange. As much land as we have, there's going to be a couple with mange every year. I don't do anything with the skins. We hunt them to protect our livestock and wildlife. We kill them, make a pile, and take a picture.

Both electronic and mouth calls.

Yea, they'll kill one of our birthed calfs every now & then...not too often.
    But we don't have nearly the number of yotes you guys do.
    They've got quite a few of our chickens though.

Do you find one of the calls works better than the other? I only have a electronic one right now. It seems to work ok sometimes but I've had a lot of luck hunting over gut piles from other kills.

I got a couple big cage traps I used for some stray wild dogs a while back, I thought about trying to use those to catch'em too.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Just use what is natural prey in your area. Rabbits, birds, mice, kittens if you're hunting close to houses. We only hunt them during the winter unless we have a problem coyote messing with our cattle. Early morning and evening are best. They bed down and lay in the sun most afternoons and are hard to come to the call. We feed our cows everyday during the winter so we pretty well know where they are and how many. We kill 20-25 every year, year after year. Haven't seen any drop in numbers but have seen healthier coyotes, more deer, turkey, and quail populations. I think what we are doing is helping the whole shabang. We will start seeing pups pretty soon and that's a decent indication how next years hunting will be. At night we hear a bunch howling so we know there is still a bunch to be killed. We do it for fun. But we also do it to keep our livestock and wildlife safe. They kill a calf, that's $800-1000 gone. They killed 3 this past winter that we know of, and it was a mild winter. A harsh winter when food is more scarce, they become bolder and will kill more. A cow can fend off a dog or two easily enough. But 5 or more and eventually they'll get the calf, or her. We saw 8 in a pack one night two winters ago.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Yea, Rabbits we are infested with. My girlfriend keeps her cat inside... doubt she'd let me take it hunting. She'd be like .

The times I've hunted has been real early morning or 2-3 hours before dark. I know they've killed a couple deer recently. Like your saying, I want to go ahead & get it under control before it actually becomes a bigger problem for us. Is 8 the biggest number in a pack you've saw? Most I've seen is 3 at a time so far. But When I hear them at night sometimes, it sounds like alot more.
    Thanks for the info man. Like I said, it was in the 1990's they released Some yotes here. And I think, but I'm not sure, they released some about 12 years ago too by mistake. The numbers are getting to be more & more because nobody hunted them round here... till now.

Just use what is natural prey in your area. Rabbits, birds, mice, kittens if you're hunting close to houses. We only hunt them during the winter unless we have a problem coyote messing with our cattle. Early morning and evening are best. They bed down and lay in the sun most afternoons and are hard to come to the call. We feed our cows everyday during the winter so we pretty well know where they are and how many. We kill 20-25 every year, year after year. Haven't seen any drop in numbers but have seen healthier coyotes, more deer, turkey, and quail populations. I think what we are doing is helping the whole shabang. We will start seeing pups pretty soon and that's a decent indication how next years hunting will be. At night we hear a bunch howling so we know there is still a bunch to be killed. We do it for fun. But we also do it to keep our livestock and wildlife safe. They kill a calf, that's $800-1000 gone. They killed 3 this past winter that we know of, and it was a mild winter. A harsh winter when food is more scarce, they become bolder and will kill more. A cow can fend off a dog or two easily enough. But 5 or more and eventually they'll get the calf, or her. We saw 8 in a pack one night two winters ago.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 06-06-12 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Yes 8 is the most I've seen at once. We've called 5 one time and killed 3. That was the biggest adrenalin rush I think I've had. They just kept popping up 20-30 yards away running at us, towards the call.

I've never heard of any wildlife department releasing coyotes. In fact unless there's documented evidence from te wildlife department, I'd call bullshit on that. There were rumors that the Oklahoma wildlife department were releasing mountain lions in central Oklahoma to control deer population. That's bullshit and anybody who says that is ignorant. The wildlife department denied there were any mountain lions in central Oklahoma, until one was hit by a car 12 miles from my house. They said by DNA they could tell it came from the black hills in south Dakota.
    Anyways coyotes are a hearty species and can survive anywhere. They naturally migrate to where theres less competition and more food and populations increase until there's not enough prey. I don't know why they would need to be intentionally populated. In some states it's illegal to trap and release coyotes into a new area. Just like its illegal to do that with wild hogs in Oklahoma, and probably most other states. But hogs keep showing up more and more and I can guarantee the wildlife department isn't releasing those bastards.

Feedback Score
    Well, this is what I know & have heard. It is general knowledge to many people in the area that they did In fact release coyote pups here by mistake. Also they released supposedly sterilized ones that they said would help with population control-All we have seen is the opposite of that.
    They thought the coyote pups was red fox pups if I'm remembering right.
    We are home to the most endangered species of wild wolves, the Red Wolf, which look very, very similar to coyotes & some say the pups are Identical.
    I've been told by some people that they released some coyote pups in the 1990's thinking they where introducing Red Wolves in the area.

I quote "Wildlife officials also are concerned about hunters killing coyotes that the wildlife service has sterilized and released to keep the population in check." Link for that--

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/03/10/1160754

theres a few reasons they are here now which include---
    "1. Coyote pups were easily mistaken for Red Fox pups. Wildlife officials were attempting to boost the Red Fox population and mistakenly released Coyotes instead.

2. Fox hunters and houndsmen released adult coyotes for training purposes, and some were able to escape. Also the NCWRC allows the sale of live ones which produces situations where they are imported in illegally.

3.Natural range expansion along with the extreme adaptability and mobility of coyotes."

4. They released coyotes that was supposedly sterile."

I think assuming to know more about where I live than I do is... well you know what they say about assuming and all. But I can only go by what I have heard from The game warden & all the locals. Around here it is general knowledge as I stated.

First time I learned of it I was told by Wildlife Officer Keith Britt. Its not something the commission wanted to be out there for people to know... of course cause it was a **** up that they released the coyote pups by accident. By 2005 coyotes lived in every county in North Carolina. Open season was declared on them in 2006...
    Don't jump to call bullshit on me for what every local person around here, including a game warden has stated as to why they are here. Of course there are other reasons the populations has grew, but they was released by mistake in this specific area & the supposedly sterile ones was released too... Keith Britt, the game warden which I knew for many years was there when they released them according to him.

I'm learning all the little tricks I can for hunting them...

I've never heard of any wildlife department releasing coyotes. In fact unless there's documented evidence from te wildlife department, I'd call bullshit on that.
    Anyways coyotes are a hearty species and can survive anywhere. They naturally migrate to where theres less competition and more food and populations increase until there's not enough prey. I don't know why they would need to be intentionally populated.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 06-06-12 at 21:17. Reason: Added

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Didn't mean to be 'confrontational', I wasn't necessarily calling you out, just the notion of releasing coyotes. Its just my posting style I guess. All I asked is for proof. I just couldn't imagine why the wildlife department would release them on purpose. Evidently it wasn't on purpose. Like I said, there is a rumor about our wildlife department releasing mountain lions which is completely false and unfounded. I am happy to answer any and all questions you might have about calling predators if you want to take this to PM so we don't muddy up this picture thread anymore.

An old pic for a pic thread:

ETA: I dunno man, I guess I am still in debate on the wildlife department releasing them.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/Blogs...thbusters.aspx

Your word against theirs I guess.
    Last edited by Wormydog1724; 06-06-12 at 21:01.

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast