Thread: elliptical

Feedback Score

elliptical

I was thinking about adding a elliptical to my slooowly growing home gym and was curious if any of you have used the livestrong LS 10.0E? I saw it at Dicks and thought it seemed decent for the money. Most of the others had the feet too far apart for my wife and I.

On another note have you found the elliptical to be a beneficial piece of equipment? For some reason i dont feel like i work as hard as when im on a treadmill but it does get my heart rate up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    While I'm sure someone will come along & be able to rate the exact machine you're looking at, my recommendation is check Amazon for customer ratings. I usually use this before buying anything I'm unfamiliar with. As far as running being harder, I feel its harder on my body & possible energy wise harder, but I think this can be overcome by just pushing harder on the elliptical. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't really like ellipticals...The motion is just un-natural to me. I feel I can get a better workout on a rower in less time with less frustration.

I used my limited space for a Concept 2 and some kettlebells...

Feedback Score
    Oh my...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I agree with kerplode that most have a very un-natural, if not awkward motion, but I have an Octane Fitness Q35e that has served me very well over the years. I personally won't buy any elliptical but an Octane Fitness. Built like a tank and has a very smooth motion. They are not cheap though.

I occasionally see them on Craigslist so you might check there. So much "like new" fitness equipment on there.

Although I have and use the Octane, if I had limited funds and space I would go with a Concept 2 rower. IMO, it's a better full body cardio motion and workout than an elliptical and you can get a quality one like a Concept 2 under $1000.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    I agree with kerplode that most have a very un-natural, if not awkward motion, but I have an Octane Fitness Q35e that has served me very well over the years. I personally won't buy any elliptical but an Octane Fitness. Built like a tank and has a very smooth motion. They are not cheap though.

I occasionally see them on Craigslist so you might check there. So much "like new" fitness equipment on there.

Although I have and use the Octane, if I had limited funds and space I would go with a Concept 2 rower. IMO, it's a better full body cardio motion and workout than an elliptical and you can get a quality one like a Concept 2 under $1000.
    I'll go ya one better, the Octane Fitness ZR7. Basically running without the impact and without the canned elliptical motion (you can use it how you like). Watch the video and you'll see how it works. It'll smoke you if you lean on the effort!

https://www.octanefitness.com/home/p...ro-runner/zr7/

Not cheap though: ~ $3K. I have one and love it (well, HATE it but in an exercise sorta way!). My knees are shot so this allows me the most running-like exercise to date so far.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-03-18 at 18:20.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The problem I have with elliptical machines is that they introduce bad form into running technique. They are designed to approximate the running motion without the impact; but, they tend to force users into a more vertical low cadence type of thing. So they try to approximate running by forcing into muscle memory bad form. Eh.

I'd probably pick a rowing machine over an elliptical. A stationary bike is a better approximation to something you'll do in the real world as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I stopped using the elliptical because it hurts my knees. I prefer to run or stationary/recumbent bike.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    I stopped using the elliptical because it hurts my knees. I prefer to run or stationary/recumbent bike.
    And I'm the reverse, I can work much harder on an elliptical than stationary/arm ergometer/treadmill. All true or similar pro/med grade gear.

I want a true elliptical!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That's a lot of forward slashes.

How is it you can work "much harder" on en elliptical than a treadmill?