Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa anyone?

Feedback Score

Africa anyone?

Anyone on M4 interested, or have hunted Africa? Let's hear some Safari tales

Rob

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Interested but never been.

You got to be extra careful in previously safe destinations like Zimbabwe with the "land reforms", and increasingly so in South Africa. Tanzania would still be a pretty safe bet along with Botswana.

Bongo is my dream hunt. For whatever reason those forest hunts around that area tend to be run by French PH's, and they are much more difficult than savanna hunts for common game like Kudu.

1st for me would be a woodland hunt for Bongo with a .375 HH.

2nd would be a Cape Buff in Tanzania with a 500NE SxS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have photo-safaried Amboseli, Tsavo, and Arusha in Tanzania. Took a week, had a great time, re-living British colonial life. I highly recommend it.

Feedback Score
    15 elephants (1 bull, 14 cows), 4 cape buffalo, plus the plains game.

The cost adds up. Don't go until you are out of debt (including paying your house off).

The challenge with elephant hunting is to get as close as possible before shooting. My closest was 6 yards in full charge. My closest cape buffalo was 9 yards.
    Last edited by Clarkm; 08-20-11 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no want or need to go to Africa... the amount of unstable regimes there, coupled with the rampant way in which AIDS has ravaged that continent, and even ignoring all of these facts... there are still bugs there that live in your skin to gestate.... no thank you Africa... or South America for that matter

I would compare a trip to Africa like a nice day trip to Iran... do you think you'll come back alive?
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 08-21-11 at 01:47.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is a guy over on shotgunworld that did a bird hunting safari in SA. Looked awesome, i didnt know that they had upland birds over there....but they have a ton.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would love to go on a hunt in Africa. I even know a guy from South Africa who has friends that run hunts over there, but I dont have the time or coin.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Been all over Africa but unfortunatly have never had a chance to do any hunting. Yes Africa is a dump in most places but others ie North and South it is not so bad,

If you worry about Aids don't stick it wear it don't belong, the biggest thing to worry usually is Maleria, take your Doxia and use bug netting. keep some hand sanitiser, and do not drink anything that was not bottled.

But any place that does large game hunting is going to be run more often than not by a Colonial and your accomadations will be vastly superior to any of the local area.

I would not fear Africa just respect it and do some research and be prepared.

And yes I am there now.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Never have been there, but I am dying to go. Even if its just a cull hunt for plains animals.

Feedback Score
    I've had three great South Africa hunts so far. I've made great friends and contacts there. If anyone would like contact info on a couple good outfitters for a plains game hunt you can PM me. The camps are well appointed there and I never once felt insecure. The outfitters I used were all IDPA shooters and we were able to get our handguns in and had them with us all the time. The south Africans are great folks and the hospitality first rate. You can do a ten day hunt for about the price of a guided elk hunt here so it's not totally out of reach.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast