Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Preferred Rifle for mid size game

Feedback Score
    Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag with Leopold 3-9X-50 scope and 140 grain Hornady spire points over IMR-4350 handloads.

Feedback Score
    I have used a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 and Ruger Compact in 308 with great success. I think the Tikka is kind of a best kept secret in the rifle market. I have one in 308 and 7mm-08 and they are good rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awm14hp View Post
    30-30 336 is my brush gun and 308 Rem 700 I am not shooting anything past 200 yards anyway so they work for me. I use a 150 Coreloc in the 308 and either 150 corelock. They both work. I am thinking about one of the Ruger Compact Lam does anyone know anything about them good bad or other

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...ct/models.html
    I had one set up as a hog rifle. I had a Pachmayer Decellerator pad installed and it has been a great little rifle in 308. One of my favorites.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

budget gun

I've got a Marlin XS7 in .308 that I got for $300 and I put a Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff on it. I have always shot factory rounds but am now in the process of working up some softer Hornady 150gr loads... given the resulting groups it is looking like it is about a 1 MOA rifle, so I'm not sure I'll ever need much else. All I really ever hunt is hogs and whitetail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanRider View Post
    Just trying to see what all the members are using and what are your sentimental favorites.

I hunt in Northern WI.
    Ruger M77 youth/compact, .308 Win. Leupold 4x. Very light, short, and handy in the brush or open field.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This is my Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. Pictured it has a Zeiss 3-9X36 on it.
    Now it supports a Swarovski 4-12X50

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on what I'm hunting, but I do have some favorites.

For mid size game my go to for a while has been a 270wsm. I can really reach out and still have good energy left to take game.

I have recently put together a 308 AR that is turning out to be a favorite of mine. Very accurate and works well on hogs - makes it easier to get multiples. Gonna try it on some deer this season.

I have also used a 5.56X45 AR on a lot of hogs (if we are considering them mid size game - they are big). And it has really served me well for a long time. I like to use some heavier ammo and I have no issues with taking them ethically. I know many folks have horror stories, but in my reality my 223 handloads have performed very well.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Purchased a post Win Model 70 30-06 (1964) and with the wide range of manufactured ammo have successfully harvested:

1. Moose (largest moose harvested for the year 1997 in Maine)
    2. Mule Deer
    3. Whitetail
    4. Coyote
    5. Grouse (lucky shot)
    6. Jackrabbit
    7. Groundhog
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 08-24-11 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard in .30-06. I use it for deer, elk and black bear. It's good for a 2 inch group at 200 yards with 180gr Nosler partition handloads and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40. It's worked out well for me. I will sometimes hunt the thicker Pacific Northwest forests along the coast with a Swiss K-31 7.5x55 and the same Nosler 180gr bullet in a hand load. That rifle has a Vortex 1.75x5x32 scope and affords me the use of the irons due to the scope being offset. Heavy, but fun to hunt with nonetheless. Got a raghorn bull elk with it three years ago.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    For stalk hunting for deer and hogs I run a Wilson Combat 6.8 with handloaded Barnes 95 TTSX and a S&B 1.5-6x42 Flashdot #9

Have also cleanly taken deer past 300 with it but usually go to a bolt action if hunting out of a stand and expect long shots.

Had a ton of hunting rifles over the years
    Passed down my 59 Sako 243 to my son a few years ago and ran a Sako 270 for a while, Tikka 308 and the last 2 years an LTR 308 with a Jewell trigger...

This year I decided to run the 308 exclusively for long range and set it up that way and am going back to a flatter shooting rifle.

Recently picked up an older Sako 25-06 and got 100g Barnes TTSX loads worked up for it.

Also got a Nosler Trohpy Grade in 280AI in for T&E and will hunt with it assuming it's a tack driver, may opt to purchase it... only time will tell.

I just ordered a custom Cooper in 25-06 with a lightened up stock and lighter barrel profile than standard, it is a T&E item as well that if I fall in love with will probably buy

Optics change often with items coming in for testing

I am very fond of the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot / green dot I have for a hunting scope. It's a very dependable, capable and light scope.

We are in a hot drought in Texas and I can't wait for deer season.

Cold crisp mornings in a blind with my boys, out stalk hunting, watching the sun go down and scanning the tree lines for movement at last light.

Grilling a steak with my brother at camp, talking about the days hunt, sipping a crown on the rocks and planning the next day's hunt.

Hope everyone has a good season
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast