Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daniel Defense S2W barrel profile: Are they gonna make a 16" version?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I wouldn't expect much of a POI shift at all when heated, not with that much material at the chamber end.

There are a few people on this, and other, forums who think profile makes no difference as to the precision the rifle is capable of. Someone had documented groups from three Colt barrels. A HBAR, Goverment and A1. Not at all surprising, the heavy barrel was the tightest. I'd have to dig it up, but I thought the A1 profile did open up when heated.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=bp7178;1085261]IIRC the hammer forging just forms the chamber, lands and grooves. The outer surface would still have to be turned down. QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I just ordered a 16" to try out via phone order. I like the idea of these barrels a lot, we'll see how the perform. From a post on TOS:

"The 16" is 2lbs 2oz and the 18" is 2lbs 5oz."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    What does the "S2W" stand for?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Strength to Weight. It's just a continuous taper from breach to mussel like you'd find on a typical bolt action rifle.

I did get the 16" version. Very high quality product. I have yet to mount it & shoot it. Gonna be a while for that.

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    What does the "S2W" stand for?
    Strength 2 Weight
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had this barrel out for a comparison shoot today. Finally.

I set up on a bench with a Rock BR front rest and Edgewood Minigator rear bag. This was the first use of these items as well and I couldn't get the rear bag to stay in one place which had a small negative effect on my accuracy.

I also used a 16x Bushnell Elite 6500 scope. Wanted to test the gun / barrel, not my vision.

Ammo was my reloads and some cheap wally world Federal 100pk. My reloads were carefully crafted but in no way optimized for this gun. Used a 77gr Nosler hpbt, FC brass, Wolf lrm primer, TAC powder. Don't remember the charge weight but they were medium-light loads.

Results- This barrel easily shot 1moa with my reloads and I suspect that if I took the time to work out a dedicated load optimized for this gun I could get sub-moa sure enough. The cheap federal stuff shoots like shit in every gun I've tried it in so far but this barrel did a quick 1" 5-shot group at 50yds with it while I was getting the scope on paper. Thats plenty good for rds / iron work, for my eyes anyway.

Long story short, this is an excellent barrel and I'm a happy customer.

For the record, I was shooting 5/8 moa with the same reloads at 100yds & 200yds in my 20" lothar-walther stainless hbar.
    Last edited by 0reo; 07-19-12 at 01:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Digging up old thread here. Any longer term report? And just to double check, these barrels are NOT chrome lined correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They ARE infact chrome lined.

Long term report (limited time to shoot these days means you can't really call it that) is that I'm very satisfied. I'd like to build a 6.8spc upper with one but between the gun grabbers going batshit crazy and saving to relocate my family to more friendly territory its not a realistic priority any time soon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good to hear. I just ordered one yesterday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12