Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail/hiking shoes options

Feedback Score

Trail/hiking shoes options

What do you prefer for a trail/hiking shoes/boots?
    been there eaten that

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As far as brands go, I like Merrell and Salomon. I've had great success with products from both companies.

The particular style will depend on your personal requirements. Do you want or need waterproofing? How about insulation? Is this a summer or winter or year-round shoe? Do you want a low, mid or boot-type design? That will often depend on how much weight you'll be carrying.

For general-purpose hiking boots, my favorite is the Merrell Sawtooth. For light hiking in dry weather any of Merrell's Ventilator series are nice. The ones I have are (I think) called Mesa Ventilators. The Chameleons are nice if you want Gore-Tex waterproofing.

Hope that helps.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've used a few of the $19.99 Outdoor Gear mid height hikers from Big 5 sporting goods.

They're cheap and hold up pretty good for shooting, classes, hiking, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    As with any piece of gear, it depends on the use. I go hicking in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico a couple times a year and hike the state parks of Texas as often as my schedule will allow. I use Merrells and Danners. I want support but I do not want my shoes to feel blocky. I see alot of Soloman and Asolo being wore by other hikers. Buy shoes that fit well and fit the use that you have planned. Merrell makes some of the REI brand shoes and they are usually a good bargain.
    Hope this helps
    Dave

Feedback Score
    I have a pair of Merrill's but I find them a bit clunky. Several months ago I switched to gortex lined trail shoes from The North Face and haven't looked back. They are very comfortable and have a very aggressive tread pattern. They are on the expensive side but worth it IMHO.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...12&language=en

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've worn Merrells for years, for every day wear and hiking/outdoors/hunting/etc. They stand up well, and are available in different sole compositions and patterns and insulation. Recommended.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 For Merrell. My mom works for Merrell so my closet is lined with different styles. Right now I take 3 different Pairs overseas with me.

Sawtooth- Very Light Hiking Boot with a very stiff Vibram sole, great ankle support, highly breathable. (I believe these are discontinued).

Reflex II- These are Gore-tex lined, leather outer, 6 inch hiking boots with walking shoe comfort. not very breathable but great in cold/wet weather. No insulation.

Passage II Ventilator- I wear these every day. Extremely breathable, low-cut like a running shoe, wide stable sole, solid leather/mesh design.

hope that helps. I don't believe there is "1" answer to this question. I try to cover all my mission requirements with 3 different pairs.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wear Asolo FSN's. I actually just wore my last pair out. The Asolo's were great on my feet for several years.

I replaced them with Merrell Ventilators, but don't have any miles on them yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too have a pair of Merrells that I wear very often. Very comfortable, and very durable. They will surely be what I wear to Pat's Dec class, most if not all days.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Gather some info here and then try and find that one store in your city that has knowledgeable people who can fit you properly. Don't wed yourself to a brand before you've tried a lot of boots/shoes. It is no fun losing toenails because of a poor fitting boot.
    "There are no losers on range #34"
    --Aaron Roberts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast