Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail/hiking shoes options

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll reiterate what I think is really good advice given so far.

1. It depends on what you will use them for. You probably won't need a super stiff shank and sole if you are only using them for low weight and mileage - light hiking etc. Merrells seem to be very popular all around if they fit your needs.

2. Try every pair on you can (preferably at a knowledgeable retailer like REI).
    Take some time, 10 or 15 min, and walk around the store in each boot. You will discover hot spots and get an idea of fit. If you can't take time in the store, wear them in your house for an extended period. You'll get an idea about the comfort and can return them as long as they aren't dirty. This will take time, but it's worth doing to save you money and blisters in the long run.

In the end, I bought a pair of Montrail Gore-tex boots after trying 4 or 5 different boots in the store. They offered wide widths and fit me and my needs the best. REI and LL Bean are good values.

Consider replacing the insoles immediately with Superfeet insoles and buy good quality socks like Smartwool or similar. You won't be sorry.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Like the others have said, try on as many pairs as you can someplace they can properly fit you.
    Lightweight I prefer Merrell, mid to heavy weight Asolo.

Feedback Score
    Thanks alot for the suggestion guys.
    been there eaten that

Feedback Score

I like the Merrill Sawtooth's. I hope they are not discontinued? I have used them for classes and for hiking in Alaska on improved tgrails with up to 50 lb. pack. I installed gel soles as well.

I also have the north face hikers and they are comfortable, but are no good for hiking.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    I like the Merrill Sawtooth's. I hope they are not discontinued? I have used them for classes and for hiking in Alaska on improved tgrails with up to 50 lb. pack. I installed gel soles as well.

I also have the north face hikers and they are comfortable, but are no good for hiking.
    I have the Spring 08 Merrell Catalog in front of me- NO Sawtooth. Buy em up if you can now. I hate when good designs get canned. One of the Chief Merrell Designers just died at a fairly young age too.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    the store brand stuff from www.rei.com

Feedback Score

Arrow

The North Face hikers are only good for hiking in the concrete jungle. They are comfortable though. As for expensive, i would not know. I got mine at the outlet for $25 a pair. I should have bought more than one pair....
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    If you can get them there and they are not too expensive for you,
    try to get a pair of the socalled "Bergschuh, leicht"
    from Meindl, Raichle, Haix or Lowa.

They all manufactur nearly the same kind of trekkingshoe that fits your need!!!
    I use them now for the last 10 years!!!
    No complaints!!!!

Feedback Score
    How about the Columbia footwear brand or the Garmont T6? Anyone has experience with them?
    been there eaten that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12