Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Wargame) 7.5 Earthquake Hits VA...

Feedback Score

(Wargame) 7.5 Earthquake Hits VA...

Add what you want in response to this disaster scenario.

A 7.5 earthquake hit Virginia today. Cell service is in and out in all of Virginia, power is out in S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, and Kentucky, W. Virginia, Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, Deleware, and New Jersey. Some of those states have sketchy cell service a well. The two nuclear reactors at the North Anna Power Station in Louisa County, Va., were automatically taken off line by safety systems around the time of the earthquake, but both have been damaged and are leaking radioactivity into the air. Hospitals are overrun with casualties, hundreds of thousands are gridlocked in traffic trying to evac west. Some looting is taking place, but it's not out of control yet. Most structures have incurred some damage.
    I'm in Texas, but I still have to think "what now?"...
    Last edited by LRS143; 08-25-11 at 09:23.

Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hard seeing that many power outages over such a large number of states for a event centered in Virginia. Also wide scale looting and evac's outside the affected state I feel would be extremely limited but you added damaged nuke plants leaking radiation so evac's could affect adjacent states if it did occurred as you say.

I would stand by and look at the current weather pattern to see were that leaking radiation is circulating to. Barring my Rad meter singing a toon I would personally bug in unless immediate threat to my home occurred by either zombies or fall out.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-23-11 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    It was a 7.5 Phila PD not the 5.8 that actually happened today so it has had an affect on many states.
    Another quake just hit and registered 8.8 and the wind is coming off the coast in a west to west north west direction. There's also a hurricane headed up the coast and will land somewhere between Florida and the Carolina's around Saturday. The power grids up and down the coast are being effected.
    Last edited by LRS143; 08-23-11 at 20:53.

Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Hmmm,

Flocks of dead birds fall from the sky in various states across CONUS, quakes in CO and VA. . .

Me thinks somone is playing the HAARP again.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Hmmm,

Flocks of dead birds fall from the sky in various states across CONUS, quakes in CO and VA. . .

Ahhh... HAARP, not just for making music anymore huh? I hadn't made the dead bird/HAARP connection. Interesting...

Okay, so now we have more quakes in the central US, plus the events on the east coast. Also I just heard why earthquakes on the east coast can have a greater effect than they do on the wc. The geological makeup of th ec is more dense, the effects can be fealt further and more intensely. That's why we had more power outages.

I'm prepping my home and vehicle, and getting ready to leave town if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Why?
    Ummm... to respond (with your keyboard) to the events with your plan or no plan. Really if you're just going to post to drive up your post count then move along please.
    Last edited by LRS143; 08-24-11 at 06:33.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

D.C. slides into the Atlantic during Obama's State of the Union address; the Postmaster General, who's pheasant hunting in SD at the time, becomes President.

The sun shines the next day, national debt begins to reverse itself, SEIU falls apart, as does ACORN (or whatever they call themselves now). Drug dealers & users turn into compost, the dog comes back home, the wife becomes sexy again, and Morning in America dawns once more.

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn... B-I-G 'un!!!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Hmmm,

That was JSantoro's chili lunch...
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    Well, I thought it would be interesting to see how we would react to a major natural disaster(s) by wargaming it, but obviously nobody agrees.

My wife is still sexy so my future looks bright regardless. We can just let this thread drift on down and die.

Any mods out there feel free to come on in and lock it up or delete it altogether.
    Last edited by LRS143; 08-24-11 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question

The first thing that came to me on the drive home last night was ... what could have happened if the quake was stronger.

I was thinking of all the potential obstacles one must traverse just to get home from work.

Our area has a lot of bridges and highway overpasses. What if any of these were even partially collapsed?

The other thing I noticed is tons of traffic lights, their cables, power lines, tall light posts and trees. Any of those go down on the road (especially live power lines) and just getting home is a challenge.

So, I have mapped out alternate (back road) routes to get home, just in case (they come in handy with brutal highway traffic anyways), with the expectation that others will do the same.

Another thing, reminiscent of 9/11 (I was in the area when it went down in NYC) ... the wireless networks were JAMMED following yesterday's quake. I could not get through, period (landlines were okay). Only thing I could think of that could get around this initial period of panic is a sat phone. Expensive.

I would imagine, if I got home, that the power would be out. And that has its own set of challenges. And so on...
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    The first thing that came to me on the drive home last night was ... what could have happened if the quake was stronger.

I was thinking of all the potential obstacles one must traverse just to get home from work.

Our area has a lot of bridges and highway overpasses. What if any of these were even partially collapsed?

The other thing I noticed is tons of traffic lights, their cables, power lines, tall light posts and trees. Any of those go down on the road (especially live power lines) and just getting home is a challenge.

So, I have mapped out alternate (back road) routes to get home, just in case (they come in handy with brutal highway traffic anyways), with the expectation that others will do the same.

Another thing, reminiscent of 9/11 (I was in the area when it went down in NYC) ... the wireless networks were JAMMED following yesterday's quake. I could not get through, period (landlines were okay). Only thing I could think of that could get around this initial period of panic is a sat phone. Expensive.

I would imagine, if I got home, that the power would be out. And that has its own set of challenges. And so on...
    I had similar thoughts. My wife was about 25 miles out, and later on I thought if cell phones were down, and traffic gridlocked (even thought about EMP senarios) we dont have a plan of getting back to each other. Do I go looking for her, or trust that she can make it back without me. We also have a bridge that could be knocked out, adding substantial (70 miles) backtracking/foot time. The quake opened my eyes to very weak areas of concern. My wife and I have a bit to discuss.
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 08-24-11 at 08:35.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast