Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAP Base Custom Rifle

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Now that I know I would say short action only. No reason for long unless you plan on throwing away $600 or more to change to a heavier caliber.

I would stay longer with the barrel seeing you will like the added velocity. Maybe 24" or even longer. I’m currently running and using 26" with a Badger FTE brake in Tactical competitions with no issues.

Look at either Manners or McMillan for your needs. Maybe the AI but it does not fit me so try and get behind them if you can before you buy. I really like the gel coat finish on the McMillan’s especially for field use. Rear of the stock should have a long flat bottom and hook seeing you will be prone. Seeing your favoring the McMillan look more at the A5 with adjustable cheek piece and LOP spacer system. If you run the A4 you will need some sort of saddle on it to get the proper cheek weld. I am not a fan of the McMillan adjustable cheek hardware. I do love the KMW Loggerhead cheek piece and would steer you that direction. You could order the stock from McMillan already inlet for the KMW and then send it to Terry Cross at KMW for the install.

You will be 100% fine with Badger steel rings and bases. Steel rings are not extruded but wire cut and very accurate. Lap the rings no matter what and get a torque wrench. George at GAP likes the Badger stuff and he and Marty have a great relationship. Badger bottom metal is good but you may want to also look at Surgeon and Seekins as well.

I would also add a removable brake like the FTE so that in the future if you add a can you could easily switch back and forth.

GLASS that’s a topic in itself but try and decide if you want First or Second focal plane first then you can start narrowing the field. I just switched from Nightforce to S&B on the game gun because I shoot a fair amount of movers and really needed the front focal plane (FFP). As mentioned stay MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. I have always favored MOA as it seemed easier but in the last year switched to MIL and it make really no difference once you start using them. I do like MIL for the fact that in most cases you can get to 1000 in 10 MILS or less so you don’t get lost in spinning the turrets around and around.

I think your tracking well with your rifle build and the builder. Get behind as many rifles, stocks and scopes as you can before you pull the trigger. There really are no correct answers just many different opinions. No short cuts. Just like all the other platforms its buy and try to find what works best for you.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wouldn't change out the stock unless you want a big heavy "battle club" that's great for the range and impractical everywhere else.

I would go with the 18" barrel or 20" at the most. It's all you need and it makes a world of difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12