Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAP Base Custom Rifle

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

GAP Base Custom Rifle

After looking around for quite a while, I think that I have settled on a rifle in the form of a GA Precision Base Custom Rifle (http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...tom-rifle.html).

I am trying to decide on what options I should get the rifle with, and since I don't have any experience with this type of rifle, I don't know what is best - get the rifle, and then after getting some trigger time with it, sending it back for upgrades, or just getting some upgrades right off...

Here is what I am thinking right now:

Get the barrel threaded

Get the Badger Ordnance 20MOA/Flat Base

Other than that, I don't know if it is worth the extra money to upgrade the stock to an AICS, or a fancier McMillan (it already comes with a McMillan M40A-1 stock.)

Also, I am trying to figure out whether the short action or long action would be better for me. Since the rifle will be chambered in .308, I'm not sure what benefit there would be by getting the long action...

Thanks,

DeltaSierra
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 08-23-11 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say go ahead and get the muzzle threaded 5/8x24, it allows you to use a supressor down the road, if you don't then the threading under the thread cap is not going to make it shoot any different.

As for the stock upgrades, I will say this, I love the AICS chassis, I have buddies who absolutely hate them. They are not a stock that follows the "I can make it work" mantra. The McMillans are good, but when it comes to a more traditional stock, I prefer the Manners over the McMillan.

Definitely get the 20 MOA base, not only will it allow you to get more elevation travel out of your scope if you decide to take it out to 1K and beyond. My take on a 20 MOA base is this "better to have and not need, than to need and not have"

Hope this helps some, if you want some more opinions I would suggest calling up GAP as they are friendly dudes and all know what they are talking about and will talk you through all the options.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can think of no good reason to use a long action for a .308 that would outweight the negatives.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep it short action if you are positive you are going .308. If you are planning on re barreling to a larger caliber such as a 300 WM down the road, then go long action. But again, if you are sticking with .308 then definitely stay short action.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forgot to add...if you are planning on .308, I would consider keeping barrel length at 20 inches.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What are your plans for this rifle?

I think your spending a lot of money you dont have to at this point but it all comes down to your needs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you have them Cerakote, just make sure you remind them to wrap the bolt well and pack it with PLENTY of padding between it and the barrel
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    What are your plans for this rifle?

I think your spending a lot of money you dont have to at this point but it all comes down to your needs.
    This rifle is going to be used for long range shooting (800+ yards.)

My criteria for this (or any) rifle are based on quality, and durability.

I understand that I am over buying (I could probably get away with a Remington 700P), but I am not one to purchase the bare minimum. If I get a cheaper rifle, I am still going to buy top of the line optics, a floorplate that will accept the AICS detachable magazines, get the barrel threaded, and get a better stock (at this point some sort of McMillan), so I might as well just get what I want, and save myself some aggravation and time in the future, and buy what I want...

That, or just buy an LMT MWS or a KAC SR-25...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    As an owner of 2.5 GAP rifles, I can say that you will not be disappointed with one of their rifles. They are VERY well built and
    are boringly accurate. DO NOT skimp on the glass go USO, NF, S&B. Another DO is, get matching turrets and reticle. MOA or MIL, your preference but get matching the first time even if your rifle sits without glass for a while. Take the time to get the right scope the first time.
    Don't ask how I learned this VALUABLE lesson

If you reload you will be able to find the load for the barrel, but that is for a different thread...

I have shot my Crusader in 308 out to 1300 yds. I have shot my GAP Rem 700 in 300WM out to 1 mile. They are fantastic guns and I love shooting them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a GAP rifle in .308.

I went with the Badger 20 MOA base, but if I could do it all over again I would have used the NightForce 20 MOA base (like I did on my 300WM). I think the NF base is a better design with their built-in recoil lug that takes the force of the recoil off the mounting screws.

I went with an 18" threaded barrel and glad I did. I still make hits easily at 930 on a SAPI plate sized target, but packs up very nicely with the stock folded.

I had them put it on an AICS 2.0 which is a great stock. Setting it up to get a perfect cheek weld is a breeze and takes about 3 minutes and doesn't sag like stacking up layers of foam on a normal stock.

AICS mags are expensive but worth every penny on a bolt gun.

I also went with Tan Cerakote and it has only worn off the bolt lugs which is pretty normal. The finish has held up everywhere else.

I am currently using a Mark 4 on it, but wish it had a NF. Leupold scopes are fine <500 yards but having an NF/USO/S&B will make a big difference beyond 500.

.308 is great if you want to shoot a lot and do not hand load. I only feed it Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. I don't have time to load and it likes this ammo the best.

One note on rings, get the NF light-weight version. They are stronger than the steel rings as far as separation goes and the NF rings are cut to tighter tolerances than Badger rings. Badger rings are serialized because they are cut from an extrusions. NF rings are cut nearly perfect (and do not need to be installed in a "matched pair").

Continue to research. I weeded through all the BS over on Sniper's Hide (and here) for about 3 months. I also emailed GAP for some advice (based on intended use) before finally deciding on personalized features.

Currently is all tan (I bought the coyote colored stock sides for the AICS).
    Last edited by Dave L.; 08-29-11 at 03:19. Reason: add pic
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast