Thread: The Beast

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

The Beast

Well, finally done!

I took a little ride on a rifle I picked up(700 with Sendero stock, varmint barrel) Was supposed to be a tack driver, but that is another story.
    So, I decided that why not do some custom work.

Never having done anything custom in regards to a precision rig other than buying an AI, I was hesitant on this but went with it.

Contacted Bartlein Barrels to discuss options on it and thought if their barrels are an upgrade to an AI, they have to be good.

Frank was a great help and right on the money with time estimates. He said 6 months, well it was correct and a great birthday present decided upon 6 months prior

Although I didn't do some of the voodoo, I'm happy with it and working on testing some various loads. I asked him to check the receiver, etc and only do work that needed to be done, at least I got a good receiver from that "deal".

Anyhow, 18 pounds as seen here. I wanted it heavy, not carrying it further than up and down the 1200 KD range.
    Unaltered AI stage 2.0 chassis(I took this off another 700 which will be a project for Mr Smith)
    Bolt handle re enforced by Hooper Ordnance(check his site)
    1n 11.25 MTU contour, 24" with Badger FTE brake.
    NF 20 moa base, NF med rings, NF 3.5-15x50, MLR reticle with HS mil adjustments and ZS.
    Atlas V8 bipod with AI spigot
    Cerakote by GAP(that's who Barlein uses)
    The cartridge holder is my design, made by Vel-Tye, a local shop.
    Timney trigger(3.5 pounds from them, unaltered) This is nice, of course the old trigger was hosed as well since some clown before me worked the internals)

I've had it out once so far to work on some things. Out of the 13 5 shot groups fired, averaged to .696. I can do better than that, a lot of variables that day affecting accuracy, including me.

Right now the front runners are FGMM 168 and 175, for some reason, it is ok with the Black Hills 175. I may work on some reloads, depending.

I do want to get a case made by Grand River Tactical as they will make a case to your specifications.

Mark

(dang dust bunnies converged again!)

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    18 lbs? And you still went with a brake? Thing must recoil like a rimfire.

Pappabear and I are knee deep in the 700 money pit. Beats the hell out of throwing money down the drain trying to make a 1911 reliable though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    18 lbs? And you still went with a brake? Thing must recoil like a rimfire.

Pappabear and I are knee deep in the 700 money pit. Beats the hell out of throwing money down the drain trying to make a 1911 reliable though.
    That's what I wanted though. Of course it spoils me after shooting the un-braked 300wm! That's another project as well, but it shoots great and I need some more dollars for that!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm with you. I can't get my 700 heavy enough. It's just over 10 lbs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm with you. I can't get my 700 heavy enough. It's just over 10 lbs.
    You need a truck axle for a barrel, that'll fatten it up a bit.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice damned build. Wish I was close to a 1200 KD range.

Feedback Score
    Nice build! I love me some AICS as well.

Did you have it skim-bedded in the chassis? I'm a fan of this, even on rem700 actions. Of the AI chassis I've used (4 to date) 2 were a wee bit crooked. Could have just as easily been the actions that were crooked. You could overcome it by selectively positioning the action in the chassis before tightening, but I found skim bedding to be a sure fix.

If you run a surgeon action in an AICS, you don't really have a choice but to modify it. The bolt handle channel needs cut down and re-shaped to allow clearance for the straight handle. Then the rear tang is positioned differently compared to a rem700... so it will torque the action if you don't shore it up.

I knew this going into it, and you don't really buy an action like a surgeon and NOT bed it.
    Last edited by orkan; 08-25-11 at 11:19.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No bedding on it. I know there's a lot of debate on that topic though.

You know how you can tell where the action contacts the chassis, no uneven markings, etc.

I don't have plans on doing it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I don't have plans on doing it.
    Well at least you know its an option if you run into problems or want that extra level of confidence. On standard rem700 actions... its not necessary in most cases. With certain actions however, you don't have a choice.

Get some handloads worked up for that thing!
    Last edited by orkan; 08-25-11 at 11:42.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Well at least you know its an option if you run into problems or want that extra level of confidence. On standard rem700 actions... its not necessary in most cases. With certain actions however, you don't have a choice.

Get some handloads worked up for that thing!
    Since Barlein did the work and said the receiver is fine, I'll run with that one.

I did test my current loads that I worked for the stock SPS, which worked well in the AI. I turned a 1/2 moa group and one moa group with them. When I get some time, I may load some up to test. I was hoping they would do a tad better but they are usable.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!