Thread: Shotgun Training

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shotgun Training

Gentlemen, one of my (MANY) welcome home presents to myself will be my first shotgun. I am planning on picking up a basic 870 express tactical and a couple 3gungear saddles.

My first question is how much ammo do you guys go through in a typical practice session? Do you train with buck or slugs or both? I have an indoor range as well as a national park to shoot in, looking to do some "tactical" and "home defense" style training and maybe find a local class, not interested in trap/skeet.

My second question is if anyone is using the GG&G flashlight setup or if the surefire setup is the only good option. I put flashlights on all my weapons but that surefire forearm costs as much as the damn gun does. I also noticed that the right handed model puts the flashlight at 3 o'clock but I think I would rather have it at 9? (My M4 has it at 11).

Thanks

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I have not used but have heard from others that a TLR-1 with Streamlights mag tube rail(linked below) works pretty well and it's about 1/3 the cost of the Surefire setup. I've been considering it for my HD shotgun. Maybe somebody with first hand experiance with that particular setup can chime in.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...unt-69901.html

Edit: The GG&G looks like a decent option but looks like it takes up quite a bit of your foregrip real estate, again no first hand experiance so I could be wrong.
    Last edited by greatnw; 08-25-11 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That looks like a great solution, thanks for that.

Can anyone chime in on how many rounds you typically go though in a practice session? slugs or buck? It seems like slugs may be better for training being that they are cheaper and don't destroy targets as fast, but I don't have any idea what I am talking about.

Feedback Score
    I usually end up shooting a 100 round value pack box of birdshot from Walmart ($23) on steel in various drills, then before I hit the road I check my pattern on paper with 5 rounds of my stockpile buckshot. I have a couple rolls of butcher's paper in my range box for that.

I use the Streamlight 870 mount to hold a TLR-1 on my 1100 and it's held up well: http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...unt-69906.html

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the input, another thought I had was for dummy shells to dryfire/shell change type stuff, are there any popular choice for that?

Feedback Score
    I've come to prefer the all aluminum snap caps to the ones with plastic rims. Running the plastic rim dummies through the action chews them up in a big hurry. I don't remember who made mine, but they weren't expensive.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I shoot Rob Haught's School Drills and add a few extra things to it my self. On average, I shoot between 50 and 75 rounds during each range session. Most of that is bird or buck and I do between 5 and 10 select slug drills as well. I do all of my SG training on steel because, as you said, paper targets get torn up too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    Thanks for the input, another thought I had was for dummy shells to dryfire/shell change type stuff, are there any popular choice for that?
    I use these http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=ST-12 from Law Enforcement Targets. I do over 100 manipulations a day with them and they hold up well. The set that I currently have, I've had for almost two years.