Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Going into class "cold"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Going into class "cold"

Maybe its just me

Im taking a Tigerswan Pistol course this weekend here in Pittsburgh. Of course Im pretty excited about it
    Talking to a buddy of mine who is also taking it he asked me if I wanted to hit the range with him sometime this week to prepare.
    NO.
    In fact Im not shooting for a full week prior to the class, and I like it that way. I try to tone it down before class (carbine last weekend and only ~50 round psitol when I normally do 150-200/week pistol ) and then go in totally cold.
    My focus is on learning, going in like a blank slate and an honest performance level and being able to soak up as much as I can.

In my mind I practice before a match, not a class. And there is a big difference.

Ive also come to resent the general vibe of "dont be that guy" that is around the internet and the plethora of guys willing to help you free up your bank account from all that pesky money in order to alleviate the insecurity and fear instilled in being a n00b in a class.
    To be clear , Im NOT coming down against getting appropriate instoductory training so as to have a foundation on which to build, not am I saying guys should be jumping ahead before they are ready.

But more onto my topic I get a feeling a lot of times like guys are looking to compete at the class. As if they are going in not to learn but to prove what they already know.
    Of course I cant read minds, and maybe Im way off base. I know I have gone into classes worked up about my performance and wanting to prove myslef to the guys there. OTOH the best experiances I have had where going in blank, humble, and cold and not worrying about how I stack up or how I "perform" but rather just focused on taking in as much as I can and trying out new things or refining skills. Going in cold helps me go in with that mindset.

What about you ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Maybe its just me

Im taking a Tigerswan Pistol course this weekend here in Pittsburgh. Of course Im pretty excited about it
    Talking to a buddy of mine who is also taking it he asked me if I wanted to hit the range with him sometime this week to prepare.
    NO.
    In fact Im not shooting for a full week prior to the class, and I like it that way. I try to tone it down before class (carbine last weekend and only ~50 round psitol when I normally do 150-200/week pistol ) and then go in totally cold.
    My focus is on learning, going in like a blank slate and an honest performance level and being able to soak up as much as I can.

In my mind I practice before a match, not a class. And there is a big difference.

Ive also come to resent the general vibe of "dont be that guy" that is around the internet and the plethora of guys willing to help you free up your bank account from all that pesky money in order to alleviate the insecurity and fear instilled in being a n00b in a class.
    To be clear , Im NOT coming down against getting appropriate instoductory training so as to have a foundation on which to build, not am I saying guys should be jumping ahead before they are ready.

But more onto my topic I get a feeling a lot of times like guys are looking to compete at the class. As if they are going in not to learn but to prove what they already know.
    Of course I cant read minds, and maybe Im way off base. I know I have gone into classes worked up about my performance and wanting to prove myslef to the guys there. OTOH the best experiances I have had where going in blank, humble, and cold and not worrying about how I stack up or how I "perform" but rather just focused on taking in as much as I can and trying out new things or refining skills. Going in cold helps me go in with that mindset.

What about you ?
    While I don't think I would want to go into a class cold, I completely concur about classes often turning into giant dick swinging sessions, with learning happening only if one looks cool.

I think we've all been there.

Feedback Score
    Man, no offense, but that's a rambling mess. To your point, at least what I think your point is, I've gone into training cold and warmed-up and I dont't know if that makes much of a difference honestly. You're gonna warm-up in the first 50 rounds or so anyway.

And the whole don't be that guy has more to do with uprepaired or unsafe guys. I think your issues may be more personality based.

I'm not trying to be mean but I think a lot of your perceptions may be in your head. Again, I am not trying to be mean. Maybe I'm just too dumb to understand what you are saying so it seems like a rambling rant to me. Set me straight if I'm just being dense.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sboza View Post
    Man, no offense, but that's a rambling mess. To your point, at least what I think your point is, I've gone into training cold and warmed-up and I dont't know if that makes much of a difference honestly. You're gonna warm-up in the first 50 rounds or so anyway.

And the whole don't be that guy has more to do with uprepaired or unsafe guys. I think your issues may be more personality based.

I'm not trying to be mean but I think a lot of your perceptions may be in your head. Again, I am not trying to be mean. Maybe I'm just too dumb to understand what you are saying so it seems like a rambling rant to me. Set me straight if I'm just being dense.
    no offense taken. perhaps I do ramble some, and perhaps it is all in fact just in my head (as I stated).

To distill the topic then maybe it should read "Do you prepare for class? why ?" and further "Does anyone else like to go into a class cold? why?"

Feedback Score
    Anytime I put myself through a "standard's test" at the range, I try to run the test cold. This gives me an indication of my baseline skills.

Regarding classes, though, especially a class that I am repeating, I actually try to practice, rehearse, the appropriate skills prior to attending. Doing so allows me to know what particular skills I need to focus on and seek further input on during the class.

I practice and take courses to enhance and refine my skills. I take "standard's tests" cold to get on objective reading of my skills as they currently stand.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    "That Guy" is sometimes the dude who is tac'ed out but can't hit a full size silhouette

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy that is constantly shooting seven rounds on a five round drill.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who is told that rounds must be shot while moving, but he stops moving to shoot, then starts moving again.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who consistently forgets to fully seat his mags and full mags self-eject consistently, all day.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who flags people with his muzzle.

I find that going in to a class very rusty, often stands in the way of my learning. I am concentrating on un****ing my shooting, instead of the evolution we're working.

Anyway, just a different take on things.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Maybe its just me

NO.

What about you ?
    Great idea, it will help lessen the effect of bad habits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sboza View Post
    To your point, at least what I think your point is, I've gone into training cold and warmed-up and I dont't know if that makes much of a difference honestly. You're gonna warm-up in the first 50 rounds or so anyway.

I'm not trying to be mean but I think a lot of your perceptions may be in your head.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the OP’s point of “going in to class cold” was meant more to go into it humble and ready to actually learn – instead of going in with more of a “show the other guys what I can do and how cool my gear is” mentality.

If that’s the case, then I completely agree. I have been to more than one pistol and carbine class where there is at least one person who tries to teach the instructor a thing or two during the class. Instead of just soaking up everything the instructor is teaching, these people will often argue about form and other things, and have attitudes like they already know everything. I sometimes wonder why they even attend classes if they’re not there to learn.

I think it’s good to go into classes with an open mind and mentality. Learn and try everything the instructor is teaching, and then after the class you can decide what you want to apply.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice it's sub optimal.

Looking cool isn't really the point but if you're testing your methods and techniques you need to have them mastered to determine whether it's you or the technique/gear.

Similarly nothing sucks worse in a high-paced class when you're trying to learn something new (never mind a large volume new material) while simultaneously un****ing something else.

The idea that you're avoiding bad habits is similarly flawed. If that were the case there is no point to practicing at all.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    "That Guy" is sometimes the dude who is tac'ed out but can't hit a full size silhouette

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy that is constantly shooting seven rounds on a five round drill.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who is told that rounds must be shot while moving, but he stops moving to shoot, then starts moving again.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who consistently forgets to fully seat his mags and full mags self-eject consistently, all day.

"That Guy" is sometimes the guy who flags people with his muzzle.

I find that going in to a class very rusty, often stands in the way of my learning. I am concentrating on un****ing my shooting, instead of the evolution we're working.

Anyway, just a different take on things.
    This. All of this.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.919862,-82.514110
    Director of Training for Task Force Special Operations - a private security company

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast