Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chest rigs, Slings and reloading

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm glad you posted this, because it reminded me yesterday to order the two Bulman Gunleather AR mag pouches that I've been meaning to. Of course, one in tan, one in black, to match all social situations.

I did put on my chest rig and sling my rifle yesterday afternoon when I was home, and I found that I do all my manipulations under the sling.
    Thanks Rob.

So you are actually raising the front of the rifle high enough to retrieve a Mag from the Chest Rig "Under" the sling? I need to try that. I do insert the Mag into the well under the sling, but maybe I need to lower my chest rig so that I can retrieve the Mag from the pouch under the sling as well.? More like a "Belly Rig" versus a "Chest Rig".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I guess so. Remember too that my sling is attached at the barrel nut, so it doesn't stick out as far to the front. I keep my support arm (left arm) under/left of the sling the whole time, never reaching over/right of the sling.

It's from the wrong side, but here is me shooting with my sling & rig adjusted as I normally do.

Feedback Score
    I guess so. Remember too that my sling is attached at the barrel nut, so it doesn't stick out as far to the front. I keep my support arm (left arm) under/left of the sling the whole time, never reaching over/right of the sling.

It's from the wrong side, but here is me shooting with my sling & rig adjusted as I normally do.
    I was able to play around a little more with this new rig setup.

Everything that Rob suggested was right on. I tried both the "Retrieve, and Reload" under the sling by raising the platform up enough to easily clear the sling (not that far of a lift), changed my Mag orientation to rounds facing to the weak side for a "Beer Can Grip", and also moved my MOLLE 1911 Pistol Mag Pouch to the farthest left and lowest position possible away from the M4 Mags. to obtain the best grip on the farthest left (my first mag for speed from the Chest Rig), and it works like a charm! Very solid, and very fast.

I was trying to lower the rifle a little into the "Work Space" instead of raising it slightly to get it out of the way. Once the Mag is snatched from the chest rig pouch, I lower the platform back down parallel to the target line. It works very well!.

So, this is how the new rig looks. Very simple, fast , secure, and a great "Grab and Go" setup. In addition, I have an Eagle MK V drop leg pistol holster (without the drop extension making ride higher on the thigh closer to the belt), a Blade Tech M4 single Mag Kydex pouch, and a GCM Dump Pouch on a "Separate" Eagle heavy nylon 2" duty belt. I like being able to take it all on and off without having to "Undress" on the range. It's faster to get on as well.

Here are some pics...and before I get "Whacked"....yes, my "Stripped lower" is a BM. That's all that is BM. Never failed after 8800 rounds, but what could fail on a stripped lower? . The next will be an LMT or Sun Devil lower. The upper is a 16" LMT MRP. 6800 rounds and no failures.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I actually got rid of the pistol mag pouches on my rig. As you can see from the pics, I'm pretty skinny and they kept handing up on my gear and interfering with my movement.

Feedback Score
    I actually got rid of the pistol mag pouches on my rig. As you can see from the pics, I'm pretty skinny and they kept handing up on my gear and interfering with my movement.
    Good to keep in mind. Where did you end up putting them?

Indeed the sling comes near the pistol Mag pouches when mounted this way, but with the Kydex Single M4 pouch, and Dump pouch already on the left side, the only other places to mount the pistol Mag pouch would be on the front of the Chest Rig via MOLLE, or on the right side making it impossible to get to with the weak hand.

I'm going to start playing with them mounted in the center of the Chest Rig, and see what happens. I'd really like to mount it on the belt, on the left side where I USE to be able to smack .4 second reload from, but that was with no slings or other gear on me. Just the Belt, holster and Mag pouch.

Ahhhh...those were the days. Of course we all believed back then that the .45 ACP was the PRIMARY weapon, and all that was needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm operating under the assumption that I'll have my CCW on my belt already, which means I'll have at least one mag for that already on my belt if I needed to grab the carbine. If I'm grabbing the carbine and I'm not already carrying my pistol, I doubt I'm going to take the time to stop and strap on the pistol.

I did just order a single molle pistol pouch to see if that works out on the chest rig, just in case, but I'm really digging the stripped-down setup. If the pistol mag works out on the left, I'm probably going to add a leatherman pouch on the right. Both of which will be mounted as close in to the rifle mags as possible.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234