Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Ready, You've PreLoaded Your AR15 Magazines with what AMMO?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    first gen wolf 55gr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    first gen wolf 55gr.
    Funny, I shot 150 rounds of 75gr. HP poly-coated Wolf ammo today. I wanted to get rid of my pile of miscellaneous ammo I had laying around from the last shortage, cough, election year, cough. All of it ran properly in 4 different uppers, and was quite accurate.
    I also shot some S&B 62gr. Green Tip and Privi-P 75gr. Match

That shooting that lacquer-coated shit was like smoking crack.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Funny, I shot 150 rounds of 75gr. HP poly-coated Wolf ammo today. I wanted to get rid of my pile of miscellaneous ammo I had laying around from the last shortage, cough, election year, cough. All of it ran properly in 4 different uppers, and was quite accurate.
    I also shot some S&B 62gr. Green Tip and Privi-P 75gr. Match

That shooting that lacquer-coated shit was like smoking crack.
    The old steel cased ammo sucked, by old I mean two years + back. I shot around 1300rnds of 62gr wolf HP through my SCAR at a class recently, not a single issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One 20rd pmag with some Horndy tap, the rest xm193.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Question for those who have more then one type of ammunition for defensive and storage use for their selected firearms.

While its highly unlikely one would burn through a single high capacity magazine during a non-SHTF defensive situation I would like to ask those who only keep one or two Hi-Cap magazines of high end defensive ammunition what happens when the SHTF and you burn through your very limited supply of premium ammo?

Do you have pre-marked settings on your optics were you can just dial in your storage ammo and the same for your irons?

Noticed a few of my friends had failed to do this and the lack of accuracy depending on what shift of impact there is between your premium and storage ammunition could place one at a tactical disavanage.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 03-11-12 at 18:50.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    M193 or M855

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Phila PD, good question.

My "go to" magazines are currently loaded with 62gr MK318. The fall back ammo is 62gr M855. The difference in the point if pact for these rounds is close enough that I don't worry about it. But then I don't use a magnified optic. I use Aimpoint RDO's.

My Agency is in the process of switching from the Winchester 55gr silver tip round to the Winchester 62gr 5.56 FBI contract load for the issued duty round. Once the new round is available for individual officer purchase, I plan on keeping this loaded up as my "go to" round. Both for at work and for when on my own time. The point of aim difference between these three 62 gr loads isn't enough to concern me when I consider the engagement distances I'm training for (under 100 yds).

I tested my gun at 50yds when I was sighting in a new 2moa Aimpoint T-1. When sighted in with IMI M855, the 55gr 5.56 (q3131a) was about 1-1.5" low. Hornady 55gr 223 steel case practice ammo was about 2-2.5" low.

I agree with the point you're making. It would be nice to know the point of aim vs. the point of impact of the round you would be using. During an actual SHTF incident would be a bad time to have to ponder the answer to that question

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I keep all of my go to guns optics color coded on the adjustment dials for the different loads I use during the year.

I color the notch/click mark on the adjustment dial with a touch of finger nail polish.

Yellow for XM223SP1...62gr
    Orange for IMI M855...62gr

Neon Green for IMI M193...55gr
    Neon Pink for Wolf Copper H/P...55gr

I keep a small laminated card on the left side of the mag well and I can adjust (Just move the adjustment dial to the color which matches the loading I happen to be shooting) and I'M dead on to make precision shots without guessing POI between my defensive, training and storage loadings with a single rifle.

I also do the same with windage on my rear Iron sight and add or subtract clicks from a neutral leveled front post.

No need to guess or use Kentucky windage with this simple system.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post

Yellow for XM223SP1...62gr
    Orange for IMI M855...62gr
    Why the diff.? Price? Just curious. Also, yeah, keep off the nail polish. Male LE looks gay in nail polish.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Why the diff.? Price? Just curious. Also, yeah, keep off the nail polish. Male LE looks gay in nail polish.
    XM223SP1...62gr Soft point was $9.99 per 20rds (I paid $10.99 when I was able to find it) and is a barrier blind approved defensive loading from DocGKR 's list which is now sold out at every vendor who sold it.

IMI M855...62gr FMJ is $10.00 per 30rds and is considered to be one of the best M855 quality wise on the market. I use it for training and storage ammunition.

Point of impact with XM223SP1 in my main Go To Rifle shifts 1.8 inches down and 1.1 inches right at 50 yards when compared to the point of impact of IMI M855. There is a greater POI change at 100yds between the two so when shooting one or the other a simple pre-marked adjustment keeps me dead on target.

Nice thing about nail polish is that it stays were you put it and is water proof. Its better for my eyes to pick up in low light with the bright colors.

Plus my Rifle has a female's name and likes to dress up from time to time!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast