Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Ready, You've PreLoaded Your AR15 Magazines with what AMMO?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I saw this earlier and ended up leaving it alone as I just got done talking shit about super duper MK262 mod 1 or the 77gr. SMK in another thread, however mk262 is far from the most effective rd. outta a 10.5" AR or any AR for that matter(terminal ballistics..not LR accuracy).

It has horribly unreliable fragmentation, but more importantly why not go with a rd. that is actually designed for SBR's like the Black Hills 50gr. TSX 5.56 load that I replied with in my earlier reply to the op's question. I based my pick on the fact that I'm using a MRP CQB 10.5" for my "emergency go to rifle/ammo".

MK262 has now trumped TAP T2 for the most over hyped internet ammo.
    Based on reports, I would agree that MK262 is unreliable, but it could be worse I guess. My point was why he chose it as his sole round and not in conjunction with a barrier round. Wondering if he is only planning to engage within a certain distance or what?

Aside from the price, I decided against the TSX rounds due to the bullet grain being so different from my "close in" round of choice: TAP T2. With a 27 grn difference, the trajectories at distance would be way different as opposed to a 6X grn projectile. Granted, I have chosen two different rounds for different applications, but if I ever have to use one or the other outside of that role, I want it to be as close as possible without having to re-zero.

Not sure how T2 is "overhyped". It is definitely hyped in a big way, but I think it actually lives up to the hype in both performance and accuracy (which you show in your "light precision" thread). It should definitely be available to the public IMO...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Does anyone know where you can buy the 64 gr Gold Dot bullets or 62 gr Fusion bullets as components?

I haven't found either. The closest I've found is a 64gr Winchester soft point & a 60 grain Hornady soft point on Midway.

Since we're on component talk for a second...Do you, or anyone else, have an experience with the VMax bullets? I've got a decent amount loaded with more ready to be loaded. The ones I've loaded & shot are VERY accurate bullets, but I'm more so interested in the ballistic performance of them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, that is why I have been trying out the Sierra GK 65 gr SP so far. The only bonded bullet I can find are the 77 gr Sirocco. I would prefer to stay with 60-65 gr bonded and then migrate my practice ammo to M855 to have as close to same external ballistic performance.

The VMax bullets are thin jacket varmint bullets. Against humans they should blow up before penetrating very much, but I have not observed them in action. Supposedly the TAP ammo using VMAX bullets and they are well thought of so either those are two different bullets or the varmint bullets perform better than expected.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 08-28-11 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My ready mags hold Hornady 8162N (5.56 75 grain TAP)

More mags with Hornady LE .223 75 grain TAP (Orange Box, not FPD)

More mags with Prvi Partizan .223 77 grain OTMs

More mags with Prvi Partizan .223 69 grain OTMs

A couple mags of .223 62 grain Federal Fusion

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:51.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I totally agree and I should clarify....T2 is my favorite round besides a vmax, however T2 has become my favorite round because of it's accuracy, rather than it's terminal effects as I've never had to shoot any living thing with it. T2 imho is a far better ammo than BH's mk262 mod 1. I just personally hate and now have become bitter about Hornady's decision to not sell that particular ammo to me any many folks like me.
    We have T2 available.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=8126N.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:51.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I found some MK318 Mod 0 SOST...

What is the difference between the Mil version and the Commercial version?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...low-point-ammo

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AuProspector View Post
    I don't want to hi-jack my own thread but...

FYI, Phila PD
    All the Wolf ammo I've tried (55/62 grain) will seize up my AR15's action with a stuck case in the chamber and the rifle's action is really hot. It has happened repeatedly in 4 different AR's and 1 Steyr AUG.

In relatively slow fire practice, it has preformed well and some of the Wolf ammo was very accurate (55 FMJ camo boxes).

Also, I've found that it is extremely difficult to clean the fouling out of the actions. The ammo is 2009 mfg.
    I have not tried the HP you've referred to. I don't want to sound 'preachy' but test fire your rifle and ammo until it's running hot.
    AuProspector,

I have shot the Wolf 55gr H/P exclusively for the past several years and have never had a broken/ruptured case or has one ever stuck in a hot chamber. I agree it will muck up an action over a course of a case of ammo fired but I'M religious about keeping a cleaned and lubricated gun so for the price savings its worth the extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Why not buy a case or two of the "good stuff", shoot a few hundred rounds of it to make sure it functions in your particular rifle, get a basic understanding of its trajectory inside 200 yd (which shouldn't be TOO far off of Wolf), set your irons and dot sight to this ammo, and just deal with the negligible POI shift/accuracy change that you will get with the Wolf when you train with it?
    Ironman8,

I have tried three different 55gr loads from DocGKR list being the Fed 55 gr TBBC, Speer 55 gr Gold Dot, and the Fed 55 gr TSX and none of them were close enough to the Wolf were it would not affect my shooting in three gun events at my club. I would rather be dead on with less then idea ammo that lets me train/compete with precision over the course of a year then be sighted in with the good stuff which I'll never really shoot and be guessing with my training load.

The only reason I stay with the Wolf 55gr H/P is that it functions 100% and is accurate enough for how I train/compete. The Wolf 62gr version shoots larger groups in my guns or else I would have tried DocGKR's selected loadings in that weight.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-30-11 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Ironman8,

I have tried three different 55gr loads from DocGKR list being the Fed 55 gr TBBC, Speer 55 gr Gold Dot, and the Fed 55 gr TSX and none of them were close enough to the Wolf were it would not affect my shooting in three gun events at my club. I would rather be dead on with less then idea ammo that lets me train/compete with percussion over the course of a year then be sighted in with the good stuff which I'll never really shoot and be guessing with my training load.

The only reason I stay with the Wolf 55gr H/P is that it functions 100% and is accurate enough for how I train/compete. The Wolf 62gr version shoots larger groups in my guns or else I would have tried DocGKR's selected loadings in that weight.
    Gotcha. The competition thing throws a wrench in my suggestion. For my uses (classes, personal practice, ect), it works for me, but I see where you're coming from. In that case, if you have the money then get a rifle that you designate as your "go-to" defense weapon (set up similar to your competition guns for consistency) and zero with the "good stuff". If you already have a rifle that you could use in this role then even better. You could do worse than the Wolf 55gr HP, but you could do a whole lot better too...

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast