Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Ready, You've PreLoaded Your AR15 Magazines with what AMMO?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Phila has a pretty good plan IMHO, and he obviously trains quite a bit.

The old saying about how you rather be backed up by a guy like Jim Cirillo carrying a model 10 with RNL ammo than your average guy armed with the best available gun and ammo comes to mind.

And to quote Doc;

I would much rather go into battle with a guy who practices 15,000 rounds a year using generic 55 gr FMJ out of his old M16A1 than with some guy that has the latest state-of-the-art ammo and rifle, but only shoots 500 rounds a year.
    If it were me I'd think about checking my dope with M193 and writing that down somewhere, you never know when the Russian stuff will dry up and you'll need to switch loads.

I currently have a supply of Federal Bonded, with a whole bunch of M193 to back it up.

For the record, I will be my own emergency supply if Beslan or Mumbai hits my town and I have shot up all of the good stuff.
    Last edited by tpd223; 08-29-11 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    A few mags of Mk318 (working on more) and a quite a bit of Israeli IMI M193...It's good shit.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have cases of FMJ stacked up in the basement but don't have a half dozen mags loaded with something good, you threat matrix may be a bit off.

I can't understand the number of people preparing for the end of the world who ignore the more likely need/advantage of a few mags with good ammo for SD or limited breakdowns like a natural disaster or riot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several posts back some suggested that if you have a couple of ammo types to sight in a rifle/carbine for each. Simple idea that I had not thought through.

I have a few hundred rounds of 65 gr SGK handloads ready and some loaded into a couple of mags for each of my current two carbines for immediate emergencies. Both rifles are sighted in for this load. As long term back and practice I have lots of M193 and 55 gr handloads. When I shoot the 55 gr stuff it is off a little bit, but within 100 yds not enough to worry about. This works but I will try out the approach of sighting in one for the M193 and the other for the 65 gr SP. Within 100 yds they should both be accurate enough for SD with either load, but for target shooting out to 300-500 yds I would have one of each sighted in for the different loads.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Several posts back some suggested that if you have a couple of ammo types to sight in a rifle/carbine for each. Simple idea that I had not thought through.

I have a few hundred rounds of 65 gr SGK handloads ready and some loaded into a couple of mags for each of my current two carbines for immediate emergencies. Both rifles are sighted in for this load. As long term back and practice I have lots of M193 and 55 gr handloads. When I shoot the 55 gr stuff it is off a little bit, but within 100 yds not enough to worry about. This works but I will try out the approach of sighting in one for the M193 and the other for the 65 gr SP. Within 100 yds they should both be accurate enough for SD with either load, but for target shooting out to 300-500 yds I would have one of each sighted in for the different loads.
    One more reason to have a serious use gun and a training gun that are identical in all but their application. Training gun sighted for training ammo, serious use gun sighted for serious use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom_efekt View Post
    M855 is in most of my mags. I do have a couple with hornady tap also
    This. Two mags of hornady tap and the rest is green tip M855.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    m193 is my training ammo. and it's what I have loaded in my HD gun.

after looking at this chart from Pro-patria Inc. website, my walking-out-the-door mags are loaded with M855

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    If you have cases of FMJ stacked up in the basement but don't have a half dozen mags loaded with something good, you threat matrix may be a bit off.

I can't understand the number of people preparing for the end of the world who ignore the more likely need/advantage of a few mags with good ammo for SD or limited breakdowns like a natural disaster or riot.
    Thanks. You're absolutely right. With prepping there is so much to get and only so much disposable money. I do have cases of 193 & 855 but this served as the push. I'll wade through this thread & DocGkr's recommendations again. I know while the 855 is a better barrier breacher it also tends to leave clean holes and go right through humans. I need something more terminal. I will add that my bump in the night night stand weapon is my .45 which I also have oodles of Federal 230 gr. HST for so that one is good to go.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-31-11 at 03:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    I found some MK318 Mod 0 SOST...

What is the difference between the Mil version and the Commercial version?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...low-point-ammo
    Unfortunately I've been unable to find out with 100% certainty the answer to this question but would also definitely like to know. It seems the brown box is .mil rejected and the white box is first run civilian/LE ammo but as to which is better and the specific differences???
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last year Molon did some of testing of the two versions of federal Mk318 and they seemed close in velocity and accuracy (neither was great). Has anyone pulled the components and weighed they powder and bullets for variance?

If one is a reject batch then it may just be cosmetic and nothing to do with performance quality.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast