Thread: 308 YHM Phantom Flash Suppressor experience question

Feedback Score

308 YHM Phantom Flash Suppressor experience question

I used a Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Flash Suppressor for my 10in barrel, 5.56 pistol build. It has proven to exceed my expectations. On pitch black moonless nights I’ve gotten zero flash signature, even with rapid fire. Based on that a .308 YHM Phantom Flash Suppressor would be a no brainer. Except that 5.56 is not .308. So I thought I’d ask the experts, those of you that have or have used a 308 YHM Phantom Flash Suppressor what your thoughts are. Direct comparisons with others you have used would be helpful as well. Thank you for your assist gentleman.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a 308 YHM non-mount flash hider a few years ago on a 308 AR. I never used it at night, but I did use it in low light and never noticed any flash. FWIW.

Something to keep in mind is that ammo does make a difference in flash. I know that some older imported M80 ammo can be very flashy. Don't remember the details, but I've experienced dramatic differences between different ammo manufacturers/types.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've got a YHM FH for 5.56 for my AAC mount, but I've never tried 7.62. That said, I've found that the powder/propellant has a lot to do with flash too.

The 308 version will surely work well, but if it's a very flashy powder, it may seem that the hider isn't as good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you talking about the longer flash hiders? I thought that YHM had gone over to the same length as the short mounts some time back?
    Looking here it appears I am correct.https://yhm.net/sound-suppression/ac...s.html?cat=162
    I run a YHM ULT and it uses the newer short mounts.
    I do remember the YHM flash hider being highly rated several years ago in a test.
    Regardless, I really like the YHM mounts and have them on everything. Sorry if that isn't much help.

ETA: This may be the test I was thinking of: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...ider-shootout/
    Last edited by czgunner; 01-16-22 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I do remember the YHM flash hider being highly rated several years ago in a test.
    Remember when flash suppression was the ultimate goal years back???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Remember when flash suppression was the ultimate goal years back???
    I think it may have been driven by the sunset of the "Assault weapon" ban. Couldn't have flash hiders before, so the shooting community went through a manic fixation period. I don't really enjoy shooting with a brake, so I use flash hiders, but they are also mounting suppressors LOL.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting thread, especially with all the pics.

I am going to put A2 style on my Ruger American just so I can use M16 Cap Plug to keep water, crud, dirt dobbers out of my muzzle.

In the South you have dirt dobbers and I have seen several barrel muzzles they built nests in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Are you talking about the longer flash hiders? I thought that YHM had gone over to the same length as the short mounts some time back?
    Looking here it appears I am correct.https://yhm.net/sound-suppression/ac...s.html?cat=162
    I run a YHM ULT and it uses the newer short mounts.
    Regardless, I really like the YHM mounts and have them on everything. Sorry if that isn't much help.

ETA: This may be the test I was thinking of: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...ider-shootout/
    Yes it was a review like that and similar that initially peaked my interest in the YHM Phantom. My results with the naked eye were even better than what what’s depicted in those photos. I did not know about the suppressor mount versions, thanks for that though. I remain reluctant to go down the NFA rabbit hole. Ended up ordering a .308 YHM Phantom flash hider, so I will see for myself how well it works once I get this project finished.