Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

I've got around 16-17k rds through this. I have burned out one barrel and had it replaced for free by S&W on their dime (paid shipping both ways too!).

Many of you have seen me shoot this at classes from Larry Vickers and Kyle Defoor. It is not rusted out and is in used but perfect working order.

Other than the barrel, it's all original factory parts.

- Disassemble upper.

- Disassemble bolt, removing the extractor.

- Rinse all of the above with hot water. Be sure to get water through the gas
    tube and barrel along with rinsing the entire outside of the barrel. No soap or anything in the water, just hot water.

- Air dry. I usually sling the parts around in the air to speed drying.

- punch bore with two patches of Montana Copper Killer to ensure any corrosive
    salts are removed. Finish with one patch of lube to flush the Montana Copper
    Killer and for storage.

- generously lube outside of bolt, cam pin, and inside of bolt carrier group where
    the bolt goes. Use tooth brush and lightly lube outside of BCG (bolt carrier
    group). I have found Weaponshield to work better than Militec or Slip2000. I
    am trying out FrogLube now. By "work better," I mean no malfunctions and
    far less corrosion showing up if I don't clean for a day or two after
    shooting. I will be blogging about weapons lube in the near future.

- Every thousand rounds or so, I hose out the entire weapon with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
    This is not a replacement for hot water rinse but rather to remove all of the carbon and old lube.

That's it.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 08-29-11 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

100 yard 10 shot group with Sov mil surp ammo at Defoor class. The fliers are not. They are left over from the last string after which, I clearly adjusted windage and let'er rip.

Last edited by Littlelebowski; 08-29-11 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thanks a lot for the thread. This is some really good information and a great addition to the site.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Thanks for posting that. It may even become a sticky if you don't mind.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    No problem by me. Appreciate the compliment.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Very good info. Thanks!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of AK74's and a couple of S&W 5.45 guns and I clean them all with hot water.. no problems with corrosion etc. Why do you remove the extractor on your Smith? Did you find an issue with corrosion or fouling?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I use a Wagner power steamer I got at Costco a while back for $50.

It allows me to shoot hot steam through the various parts pretty quickly.

Faster than hot water for me.
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Littlelebowski , 16k rounds, thats pumping some rounds through a gun. Very nice. it really illustrates how basic maintenance keeps these DI guns running. For the sake of the thread, how long do you estimate you spend doing that clean job, post shoot.

I need to be better about running a patch, I have gotten so lazy I usually run a snake, chamber brush, and wipe off the BCG and inside upper with Rem lubricated towel, then stash it. I recently went through and thoroughly cleaned all my AR's, much easier to do it as you go.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Reminder.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast