Thread: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

I've got around 16-17k rds through this. I have burned out one barrel and had it replaced for free by S&W on their dime (paid shipping both ways too!).

Many of you have seen me shoot this at classes from Larry Vickers and Kyle Defoor. It is not rusted out and is in used but perfect working order.

Other than the barrel, it's all original factory parts.

- Disassemble upper.

- Disassemble bolt, removing the extractor.

- Rinse all of the above with hot water. Be sure to get water through the gas
    tube and barrel along with rinsing the entire outside of the barrel. No soap or anything in the water, just hot water.

- Air dry. I usually sling the parts around in the air to speed drying.

- punch bore with two patches of Montana Copper Killer to ensure any corrosive
    salts are removed. Finish with one patch of lube to flush the Montana Copper
    Killer and for storage.

- generously lube outside of bolt, cam pin, and inside of bolt carrier group where
    the bolt goes. Use tooth brush and lightly lube outside of BCG (bolt carrier
    group). I have found Weaponshield to work better than Militec or Slip2000. I
    am trying out FrogLube now. By "work better," I mean no malfunctions and
    far less corrosion showing up if I don't clean for a day or two after
    shooting. I will be blogging about weapons lube in the near future.

- Every thousand rounds or so, I hose out the entire weapon with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
    This is not a replacement for hot water rinse but rather to remove all of the carbon and old lube.

That's it.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 08-29-11 at 11:29.