Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAGUNS View Post
    Maybe I missed it, But did you use corrision ammo?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFR
    so I believe its all the same, Very dirty.
    No. It's not all the same. There is a difference between "dirty" and actually being corrosive. The cheap surplus stuff is corrosive.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningFast View Post
    I had never consider a 5.45 because of the corrosive ammo, but this has me reconsidering somewhat. Thanks for sharing with us!

Dumb question, but what qualifies as a burnt-out barrel? Just accuracy falls apart, or there is visible damage to it, or something entirely different?
    Targets like this.

Feedback Score

Feb update

I used the same three Russian types,of ammo and a American brand, I think it started with a H or something. I also used three different lowers, its great to have friends, one of them was a SW factory SW15.
    i HATED IT AGAIN:
    I cant find any markings in the carrier, or bolt , also not finding the barrel marked for the supposed cal.
    I tried to get off one mags of 20, of those I had three fails to go bang with hard strikes on the primer , and two fail to extract to the point I had to kick the charging handling BY FOOT, because of a fail to extract and eject...
    Im going to look at one of my 223./5.56 bolts under a glass and put a caliper on it, and the 5.45 to see if maybe who ever put this piece of dung cant understand the difference in cal. or just used a chamber that was a 556, and not a 545, any idaes?? rob ou
    Rob L

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have added a step. First thing after removing the barrel and charging handle I spray the upper down with a bit of Gunk Engine Cleaner which I let sit for 15 or more minutes. This gets most to all of the old contaminated lube out of the upper.

I spoke to Matt at Adams Arms and he specifically mentioned the gas port as a prime victim of corrosion. Makes sense to me. Make sure you hit the gas tube with the hot water.

I had the bolt carrier and bolt seize up on a 5.45. I put a punch on the back of the bolt carrier and a light tap with a hammer freed it up. There was evidently a bit of corrosion in the gas piston / cylinder part of the bolt and bolt carrier. Starting now before I leave the range I'm shooting some lube into the exhaust holes in the bolt to prevent such until the cleaning which is usually an hour or two later. A squirt down the gas tube to get the gas port I think is a good idea too.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 02-19-12 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you guys clean out the lowers as well, or is that not an issue?

I would think that some of the corrosive gunk would end up down in the lower.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Do you guys clean out the lowers as well, or is that not an issue?

I would think that some of the corrosive gunk would end up down in the lower.
    The hot water rinse takes care of that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Targets like this.

Were you using a slingshot?

That's definately a rough bore... I'd like to see the bullets after passing through that weak-to-non-rifled barrel... Didn't happen to recover any, did ya?
    Fact of life:

Although the EAGLE may soar proudly through the skies, it is very rare for the Weasel to be sucked into a jet engine.

Feedback Score
    I see you were happy with FrogLube back in September. How's it doing now? I'm looking to switch over all my guns to FrogLube if it works right, and 5.45 is looking like a major budget saver for me.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    @Littlelebowski

This reminds me of my first lesson in field maintence/familiarization with the AK platform.

To clean an AK

First you piss on/in it. Canteen water is for you.. not the weapon!

Second.. shake it like a dog with a bone to get all the excess urine off.

Third.. Run a couple of patchs through the barrel and oil it back up.

This lesson was given by a USMC Staff Sargent back in the early 70's.

Not much has changed eh?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I see you were happy with FrogLube back in September. How's it doing now? I'm looking to switch over all my guns to FrogLube if it works right, and 5.45 is looking like a major budget saver for me.
    I think Froglube doesn't carry away the corrosive salts and rinse away as easily as other lubes with more fluidity. I'd recommend Slip2000 or Weaponshield. Militec certainly did poorly for me. I updated my blog with a writeup on my long term use of this weapon.

I do use Froglube on my pistols and other rifles, including my 5.56 rifle.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast