Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I have a 74 with over 18K rounds of corrosive ammo through it have a few other 74's with about 5-8K rounds through them. Hot water and bore snake. Toothbrush the comp and gas tube.
    Those 74's are sweet guns. I got one to. Sucks about the corrosive ammo though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a bit more than $100 you can get a pancake air compressor used to drive nail guns. Puts out plenty of air for cleaning guns. You'll wonder how you got along without air.

I use my big Campbell Hausfeld "portable," but I also run tools. Pancake will do you just fine.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-03-19 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    Interesting cleaning method. I've got a little over 9,000 rds through my M&P 15T and it doesn't seem (yet anyway) to be suffering from any lack of accuracy. The melonite finish is supposed to be more wear resistant than chrome.

I would have over 16,000 rds through it now if I hadn't switched over to the Larue a few years back when the bolt broke in the M&P.

Question for the op since the pictures no longer work, did you try to do a deep stripping of copper build up from the rifling?

Just read an article about this and how hard it can be and how long it may actually take (days) to fully remove really bad copper fouling.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I shoot 76N through multiple rifles all the time. The only thing needed is to break them down the same day you shoot them and give them a good squirt of 50/50 mix of balistol and water. No corrosion problems whatsoever.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Good thread!

Feedback Score
    First AR I bought was the S&W in 5.45. Shot 7N6. I haven't shot it in a long time but when I did I cleaned it with hot water.

Blow dryer to dry out the nooks and crannies. No problems.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456