Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly/Bi-weekly lessons learned

Feedback Score
    Good timely info should always be shared. Go for it.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like a good idea to me
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing”

Edmund Burke

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    OK, enough talk. Is a MOD going to place a sticky on this page so we can start?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Well I guess I have to put up or SHUT UP.....

I guess I will go first.
    ***Since I am in Afghanistan it will be lessons learned geared towards being here.*****

Not sure if this fits here but I found that Smartwool Socks are the best thing around.

Lesson Learned - When you have a minor medical condition make sure that you do what you need to do to take care of it ASAP.

One of my guys had to be pulled off the team because he let an ingrown toenail get infected. He said he noticed it about 3 days before a big mission and waited until after to get it checked. His toe had become infected and had to get IV antibiotics for it. Take care of problems ASAP, even if you have very important stuff to do. He will be off the team for at lest 2 weeks now.
    Last edited by docsherm; 09-07-11 at 05:54.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Lesson Learned - When you have a minor medical condition make sure that you do what you need to do to take care of it ASAP.
    Absolutely true in any type of situation whether it be getting paid to carry a gun, camping, wilderness survival or even just your everyday desk job. It's especially important when dealing with your feet due to being bipedal and actually needing to be mobile A small blister, cut or splinter can fester and turn into some really nasty shit so the best thing to do is take care of it while it's a small problem rather than blowing up into a 2 week stint on your ass or worse.

It's also a good reminder for people to assemble a first aid kit for camping, their BOB or for any type of ourdoor survival SHTF zombies are attacking type of scenario. A little TLC and fresh air in the beginning goes a long way in preventing things like this from taking you out of the game. Good start to what could potentially be a very informative thread.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's something I see every so often and was very evident last week:
    Situation:
    Many operators spend a lot of their training pipeline with other Alpha/PT stud types. What happens when they get teamed up with non-operator types, whether it be an augmentee, someoone with specific skillset to the mission, or personnel recovery?
    More often than not, there are assumptions the non-operator knows more than they do, know how to use gear operators take for granted, and navigation plans/movements that are out of the non-operators scope or ability.

Lessons Learned/Take aways:

How does this apply to non .mil folks?
    Many folks base their action plan based on their abilities.

Do you take your family or friends hiking, camping or other field activities?
    Are you the type that has a Bug out or Bug in plan?
    Have you ever been put into an impromtu group for an outdoor activity?

Take stock of who is in your group, talk to them about what they consider is a "long hump" and other physical abilities. What gear do they have and can they use it? You may have to modify your route, timeline, or pace to make it more realistic and safe.

...or you could just watch as someone goes horizontal and blows snot bubbles and everyone has to go static to take care of the casualty.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That is very true. You need to plan for everyone that you are with and not with your abilities in mind. That can mess up everything real quick.

Good point.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Well, I guess this went over like a fart in an elevator..........anyone out there?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yep, I'm out here and watching this thread. I realize that probably doesn't count for shit, but I learned a long time ago to pay attention to the folks walking the walk. Believe it or not, I actually keep a little notebook into which I copy or transcribe tidbits learned on this site.

I'm not in any way an operator or remotely high speed/low drag, but I took Tortuga's comments from 09 Sept 2011 to heart about planning for everyone in my "group." I know a little and am learning, but my wife knows a lot less and isn't all that interested. I've started to reevaluate a lot of things (SHTF, disasters, etc) with that knowledge discrepancy in mind. That simple realization and acknowledgement was something of an eye-opener for me and is helping me reorient a bit.

So, yeah. I'm paying attention, learning, etc and am grateful for the opportunity.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    Yep, I'm out here and watching this thread. I realize that probably doesn't count for shit, but I learned a long time ago to pay attention to the folks walking the walk. Believe it or not, I actually keep a little notebook into which I copy or transcribe tidbits learned on this site.

I'm not in any way an operator or remotely high speed/low drag, but I took Tortuga's comments from 09 Sept 2011 to heart about planning for everyone in my "group." I know a little and am learning, but my wife knows a lot less and isn't all that interested. I've started to reevaluate a lot of things (SHTF, disasters, etc) with that knowledge discrepancy in mind. That simple realization and acknowledgement was something of an eye-opener for me and is helping me reorient a bit.

So, yeah. I'm paying attention, learning, etc and am grateful for the opportunity.
    I second that. I'm in a very similar situation and before reading that post was getting a bit carried away with my ideas of my families capabilities in a survival situation. Not only did it give me a reality check but motivated me to get them more involved with my plans and preps.

Also the tidbit about not letting small wounds or other small issues go untreated was very good advice. I think alot of us that don't have the real world experiance can get caught up in the more "glamorous" survival ideals (guns,ammo,etc.) that we overlook the small or fundamental things that we are much more likely to use/encounter.

I hope we get some more real world lessons, the first couple have been great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast