Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training the boy

Feedback Score

Training the boy

I am currently an Army drill sergeant and decided that I would start teaching my 6 year old to shoot. We worked our way up to a BB rifle and spent a good deal of time on safety, finger off the trigger, muzzle awareness etc. How hard could it be, he is putty in my hands at such a young age right?
    All is going well, his fundamentals are there, hitting the target and enjoying ourselves. I head down to change the target and as I am reaching for it *TWACK* a BB hits it.
    "Son, remember what I taught you...do not point your weapon at me" to which he replies "I didn't, I was pointing it at the target".

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGGunBunny View Post
    I am currently an Army drill sergeant and decided that I would start teaching my 6 year old to shoot. We worked our way up to a BB rifle and spent a good deal of time on safety, finger off the trigger, muzzle awareness etc. How hard could it be, he is putty in my hands at such a young age right?
    All is going well, his fundamentals are there, hitting the target and enjoying ourselves. I head down to change the target and as I am reaching for it *TWACK* a BB hits it.
    "Son, remember what I taught you...do not point your weapon at me" to which he replies "I didn't, I was pointing it at the target".
    LOL, ya, mine was doing something similar at that same exact age!

Too funny.

C4

Feedback Score
    I think we need to start basic trainees off with BBs too...it would lower my stress level on the range with some of the knuckle heads I get.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I think we need to start basic trainees off with BBs too...it would lower my stress level on the range with some of the knuckle heads I get.
    Not a bad idea.

C4

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you have a little sniper there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hasn't it been done in the past?
    I remember reading something about it WRT the "Quick Skill" method.
    Perhaps it was only testing?

SSgt, have a look at that material, IIRC, it was posted somewhere here in M4C. Some serious stuff there.

There was also a report on "20 Years of Markmanship Training", IIRC, from the guys at Natick.

Cheers.
    Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Funny story about the boy, mine's only 10 months. You could always start the bootcamps with a laser pointer M4 like the Navy does.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A kid that young, no matter how squared away he seems, just isn't cognitively developed enough to really know the deal. No matter how much you school them, they WILL do things that make your skin crawl. I think it stops when they get to be about 30.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    Funny story about the boy, mine's only 10 months. You could always start the bootcamps with a laser pointer M4 like the Navy does.
    We put the trainees in the LMTS ...which is a huge video game/simulation to access their skills. For me the jury is out on if that expensive program is worth anything. I have trained many who never shot well in the LMTS, couldn't group or zero on it to save their life and they zero in 9 rounds with bullets and I have also seen the opposite as well.

What do I know, I was trained with dime/washers and the that ancient weaponeer.

A kid that young, no matter how squared away he seems, just isn't cognitively developed enough to really know the deal. No matter how much you school them, they WILL do things that make your skin crawl. I think it stops when they get to be about 30.
    I'll agree with that. I had to get more formal with him "Lock and clear your BB gun and place it in the V notched stake"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Lock and clear your BB gun and place it in the V notched stake"
    This is potential signature line material.

Okie John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast