Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady TAP .223 75 grain legit deer hunting ammo?

Feedback Score

Hornady TAP .223 75 grain legit deer hunting ammo?

Read an article in G&A about a hunter using this ammo to take a deer. Does anyone else think that it's a good idea? I'm not a huge hunter, but I was always under the impression that .223 was too small of a caliber to make a reliable clean kill.

Feedback Score
    I know a few people who've taken deer with it. Haven't tried it myself, though.

Know quite a bit more people who've taken deer with various other .223/5.56 offerings. I used 60gr Nosler Partitions last year but didn't see anything, and if I go this year I'll probably be using 5.56 TAP 75gr.

Hit what you're aiming at, and it'll go down quick. Considering it's size and energy you do have to make sure and place your shot well, you don't have the 'luxury' of a much bigger and faster projectile to make up for poor aim.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I probably wouldn't hunt with a 5.56 because I have a 30-06 available. I do however know a lot of guys that hunt deer around here (no monsters) with an ar platform. Typically they shoot for head/neck shots. If not that then lung and as a last resort through the shoulder. I've seen the after shot pics and a good 5.56 round to a deer's head or neck is a one hitter quitter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    I probably wouldn't hunt with a 5.56 because I have a 30-06 available. I do however know a lot of guys that hunt deer around here (no monsters) with an ar platform. Typically they shoot for head/neck shots. If not that then lung and as a last resort through the shoulder. I've seen the after shot pics and a good 5.56 round to a deer's head or neck is a one hitter quitter.
    Currently, my AR is my only rifle so that is partly why I'm interested if I can "get away" with using TAP to go hunt.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gs013564 View Post
    Currently, my AR is my only rifle so that is partly why I'm interested if I can "get away" with using TAP to go hunt.
    Get away with? Definitely if you do your part. It'll kill a deer quick with good placement. A lung hit might or might not take some tracking. Tap in the neck or head is gonna drop a deer. My concern would be if you hit the shoulder area. Not sure if the tap stuff would punch through with enough oomph to damage the vitals behind the shoulder blade or punch through at all.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 09-02-11 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks for the response. Saves me from having to convince the wife to get another rifle (although I'd LOVE to have another).

Feedback Score
    Make sure you check your local game laws to make certain the .223 is legal for deer hunting, it's not everywhere.

I would also recommend using Barnes bullets instead of match type bullets. If you hit a shoulder you might not get any penetration to the vitals.

Just sayin'.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No go in TN. Considered too small.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If it is enough of a round to kill a man wouldn't it be enough to kill a deer. That being said it's all about bullet placement and the construction of the bullet being used. People kill 2,3,400 pound hogs all the time with the .223/5.56 round. It amazes me looking at the pictures here on the site and I'm really tempted to try it myself. I'm still hesitant though.

Feedback Score
    Also too small here in FL.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast