Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady TAP .223 75 grain legit deer hunting ammo?

Feedback Score
    I live in Missouri. According to the methods allowed this is what is on the website:

Centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets. Legal ammunition includes lead bullets, copper bullets and bullets made of other material designed to expand.

It doesn't mention any particular caliber so I take it to mean .223 would be fair game. Although, I'll still research. If anyone knows for certain for Missouri, then please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IIRC, the smallest legal caliber for deer here in Michigan is .22. ETA NOT .243, thx Joey.

The 75 OTM or 62 Bonded SP would be good choices if you HAD to use 5.56 for deer.

It would probably better to step up to a little larger round like the 6.8 or 300BLK.

Those give you a little more margin for error if your shot placement is not perfect.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-06-13 at 20:58.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    IIRC, the smallest legal caliber for deer here in Michigan is .243.

The 75 OTM or 62 Bonded SP would be good choices if you HAD to use 5.56 for deer.

It would probably better to step up to a little larger round like the 6.8 or 300BLK.

Those give you a little more margin for error if your shot placement is not perfect.
    That is incorrect. "It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun)." From DNR website.

Feedback Score
    In Oregon where I hunt it is legal to use a .223/5.56 to hunt deer. I have been using Hornady 55 gr SP SX backed by 23.5 gr AA2230. I have taken 2 deer with this cartridge combination both were heart/lung shots. The blacktailed deer here are not as big as Mule deer or whitetailed in Eastern Oregon. So that's what I use. I think it will depend on the size of deer your hunting to determine the grain of bullet or caliber you want to use. Another round I have been considering is the 53 gr v-max made by Hornady.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

Pick a load that utilizes a 53-70gr. TSX and watch deer get dead. Truly changed my mind on hunting medium/big game with a carbine. I suggest taking a spin through the terminal ballistics forum and reading DocGKR's thoughts on this bullet...you'll likely be impressed.

Barnes, Black Hills, Corbon, and probably a few others produce loads with these bullets.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 09-05-11 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    Hi I have two loads, one is the 62 grain TSX over TAC and the other is the 64 grain WW powerpoint over Varget. The 223 is legal in GA.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDest View Post
    Also too small here in FL.
    Who told you that?

That is wrong, you can use ANY centerfire rifle cartridge as long as you do not use FMJ bullets.

Here are the current 2011-2012 Florida "Prohibited Methods for Taking Game Animals"

Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds
    Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer
    Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer
    Rifles or pistols for taking migratory game birds
    Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms
    Explosive or drug-injecting arrows or bolts
    Taking or attempting to take game with live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial lights, nets, traps, snares, drugs or poisons
    Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel's progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may shoot wildlife.
    Herding or driving wildlife with vehicles, boats or aircraft
    Hunting turkeys with dogs
    Shooting turkeys while they are on the roost
    Taking migratory game birds over baited areas
    Taking turkeys over baited areas
    Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present
    Taking spotted fawn deer or swimming deer
    Hunting with bows equipped with sights or aiming devices with electronic computational capabilities or light projection (laser) features during the archery season
    Hunting resident game using bows and crossbows with draw weights less than 35 pounds
    Using dogs without collars that identify the owner's name and address
    Using dogs on private lands without written landowner permission
    Taking game with modern firearms while hunting during the archery, crossbow and muzzleloading gun seasons
    Placing, exposing or distributing soporific, anesthetic, tranquilizer, hypnotic or similar drugs or chemicals; preparation by baits; or by other means where game birds or game animals may be affected, unless authorized by permit from the FWC executive director

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations...bited-methods/

You certainly CAN take any game animals with a .223/5.56mm here in Florida using the proper ammunition and a magazine less than 5 cartridges.

Feedback Score
    We've killed lot's of deer and a few hogs with 223's and 22-250's using 55 gr ballistic tips and 60gr Nosler partitions. The ballistic tips kill but don't exit and we have had a hard time tracking dead deer that can travel 100yards on their last breath through thick brush and briars.

So the 60 gr Partition get's the nod now as it usually punches through and leaves a blood trail. I have some 55gr TSX's to try but will use the 77gr SMK's for a doe or 2 this year. I use them on coyotes and have been impressed. I think the 75 gr TAP is a better bullet and should be fine.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDest View Post
    Also too small here in FL.
    From the 2012 F&W Regulation book the only restriction is on rimfire and FMJ.

Page10
    http://myfwc.com/media/1456328/2011-...egulations.pdf

Feedback Score
    I dropped an injured doe at work last week with our issued Hornady 55 gr v-max from my 14.5 LMT. While I certainly do not consider the 55 gr v-max an optimal load for anything it worked like a charm. The doe had apparently been hit by a vehicle several days prior and was being attacked by a coyote. The coyote was gone when I arrived, but she was too injured to leave alone. I tried for a 25 yard head shot, but she moved her head (round hit her in the muzzle and started running. A 30 yard moving neck shot dropped her like a bag of hammers. There was no exit wound, but it severed/destroyed several inches of her spine.

My point is the .223 can do the job if you can put the bullet where it needs to go. As with anything shot placement is more important than caliber, but choose the best bullet type for the job. I plan on using the same rifle for hogs and coyotes, but I will use a 55-70 grain Barnes TSX.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast