Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hornady TAP .223 75 grain legit deer hunting ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hank2165 View Post
    No go in TN. Considered too small.

Caliber is legal as others have said. Just no FMJ's and No FA capable firearm.
    ....."They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again; They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time; They sleep beyond England's foam".....

Feedback Score
    Over the years,I've killed several medium size deer with 55 gr. fmj's...bullet performance varied but all died within 10 yrds of the shot...last year,I shot a doe at about 110 yrds,broadside high lung...with a 77 grn smk...instant dirt nap...but,no visable entrance hole(untill opened up) and no exit...only sign of blood was drainage from her nose...on side lung was 60% destroyed,offside about 30%...she was standing in an open field...but if she had been in the bush and run any distance at all...??? In any case,I too have been looking at the 75 grn Hornady load...but the more I look,the more I lean towards the tsx...
    If your intent is to do battle with reality...you should be working on your extraction drills...!

Feedback Score
    I did it once just as a test. Got the job done, but not impressive.
    Little reaction to the shot, deer ran 25 yards and then stumbled around for a minute before falling.
    16" 1/9 colt at about 110 yards.
    Tumbled, no frag, exited, medium sized doe.
    Still have pics if anyone cares, and if I can find them mixed in with thousands of pig pics.
    Von

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gs013564 View Post
    Read an article in G&A about a hunter using this ammo to take a deer. Does anyone else think that it's a good idea? I'm not a huge hunter, but I was always under the impression that .223 was too small of a caliber to make a reliable clean kill.
    Hornady makes some really good ammunition I personally use the 308 Superformance for hunting and others for personal defense. I would not personally recommend the Hornady Tap in the 223 caliber for deer however I would like to think that with a good shot it would do the job, I just think it would be too risky for hunting with.

Feedback Score
    I know it's been about three months since a post but since its still on the first page...

Last years season (2012) I let a friend use one of my AR's while we hunted white-tail. He took the shot on a doe that walked right up to us at about 20 yards out (we were on the ground, down wind, heavily forested area) and the doe hit the ground on the spot and was dead inside a minute.

Granted my friend shot it in the head... which is highly unethical even by what he said. I guess a aimpoint at 20 yards on a target moving right at you was too tempting for him.

The bullet entered by the left side jaw and went straight into the skull, and did not exit.

I plan to use it for this years season, unless I take the .308 out depending on where we go.
    Last edited by Ark1443; 09-13-13 at 23:04.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345