Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: First Build // Multicam Dipped

Feedback Score
    Very nice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slick gun, bro. Multicam looks flawless.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great looking gun man. The wear marks give it some nice character

How far did you have to break the gun down for it to be dipped?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Great looking gun man. The wear marks give it some nice character

How far did you have to break the gun down for it to be dipped?
    Thanks! I actually had the pieces dipped prior to final assembly so all the way I guess. It was a complete custom build so other than some test fitting, the first time it was assembled it was already dipped.

If you read my lessons learned at the beginning you will see where I had the gas block mounted and that was a mistake. It created rust because water got trapped. I seriously don't believe I'd disassemble a factory rifle just to get it dipped.
    Last edited by El Cid; 06-23-13 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply.

I am doing my first build now, and I am only lacking BCG, barrel, & handguard to finish the build. Yeah, I wouldn't disassemble it either just to get it dipped. Although the next build may get a dippin'
    Last edited by LOBO; 06-23-13 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    Just a quick update. Have about 400 more rounds through the rifle and the wear looks about the same. I've used it in a local steel match or two, and I used it for half of a Frank Proctor WOTG course.

At the time I built it, the TRX Extreme was the lightest handguard, and one of the few available in 15" configuration. Held an NSR the other day (just the handguard) and couldn't believe how light it was! Since the rifle is already plenty heavy, I may try to lighten the load with either an NSR or KAC URX4 handguard. Lighter... Keymod... better connection to the upper. Heck, even Troy came out with the Alpha version and redesigned the TRX. Mine hasn't failed, but with the new technology, I'm quite tempted to trade up.

I'm also looking to either find a FH212A for it, or maybe get a completely different Suppressor/Muzzle device. Despite letting the can soak in Mpro7 as Surefire suggested - the 215A still won't allow it to lock in place properly. I can see why SOCOM made them redesign the flash hider before taking possession of the cans. My SBR has the 212A hider and it allows the can to attach as advertised.

ETA: Forgot to mention... the Young's hard chrome BCG still fails the field test for gas rings. But - the gun still runs on 55gr, 69gr, 70gr, 77gr... I don't rely on this rifle for home defense or work, so now I'm just plain curious and plan to keep using it until it starts to choke. Cliff notes: after a few hundred rounds the gas rings would let the bolt carrier collapse when stood on the bolt. Gun still ran. Tried McFarland Ring - after a few hundred rounds... it failed the test, but still runs.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-20-13 at 13:02.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Damn fine looking rifle. I would be happy to rock that one. In regards to the finish wear, I would lose no sleep over where the finish is coming off. It is a tool/toy and the more you use them, the more character they get. Frankly I like the looks of well maintained, not abused weapons with some wear on the edges. Some bugger eaters like to intentionally trash their crap to give it that "high speed operator" look. That just makes me think the dude is a bigger goober than ever, playing dress up. The flip side of that is that a well worn service rifle, pistol/revolver just says " I have some good stories from my years of service".

Anyways, nice looking rifle.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks fantastic. I was toying with the idea of dipping a whole gun, but based on your experiences, I think piece-meal is the better way to go at this point. Regardless, that rifle came out beautifully.

Feedback Score
    Picked up a Unity Tactical EXO in Multicam. Very pleased so far.

Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Picked up a Unity Tactical EXO in Multicam. Very pleased so far.
    I got one of those too. Saw it on IG and couldn't pass it up. Sweet little piece of kit.

And the rifle still looks awesome as ever man.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789