Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where it all began...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite

ArmaLite began as a small arms engineering concern founded by George Sullivan, the patent counsel for Lockheed Corporation, and funded by Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation. After leasing a small machine shop at 6567 Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood, California, Sullivan hired several employees and began work on a prototype for a lightweight survival rifle for use by downed aircrew.

While testing the prototype of ArmaLite's survival rifle design at a local shooting range, Sullivan met Eugene Stoner, a talented small arms inventor, who Sullivan immediately hired to be ArmaLite's chief design engineer.
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Buck,

I saw the Reed Collection when I was at KAC for the armorer course back in 2006. It is simply incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I know that what he said is true, because I believe what he says. He has proven himself to be a truthful individual. The follow-up I did was to go with him to the location and see it for myself, but boots on deck as it were... I stood there drinking coffee in the same little room where the first AR15 was both designed and manufactured... Perhaps not interesting to everyone, but I thought it was very cool...

The rifle pictured was photographed by SMG LEE at SHOT and it is in the personal collection of Mr. Reed Knight. I believe that it is currently in Florida...

S/F

B

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    While I was talking with a very tenured coworker about fast cars, cold beer, hot women, and cool guns (not in any particular order) he happens to mention that, back in the day, he knew the guy who started it all, and that his shop was just around the corner.

Being the inquisitive type, I did a little follow-up on the conversation and this was the result. It turns out, the guy he knew was one Eugene Stoner, and this is what his shop looks like today...

Attachment 9607
    Attachment 9608
    Attachment 9609
    Attachment 9610

S/F

B
    The only GOOD thing that ever came out of Hollywood, CA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man if those walls could talk ..I would love to stand there and take in the moment

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Nice tid-bits for my less than awesome Armalite collection ...
    Thanks for posting !!!

Feedback Score
    very cool story, neat to stand in the place where it all began

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's really freakin cool

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Buck,

I saw the Reed Collection when I was at KAC for the armorer course back in 2006. It is simply incredible.
    You have my curiosity...what else in in the collection?

Also to notice on the 000001 edition: is that the charging handle inside the top of the carry handle there, instead of behind it like we know it today?
    Last edited by yellowfin; 09-30-11 at 11:15.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    You have my curiosity...what else in in the collection?

Also to notice on the 000001 edition: is that the charging handle inside the top of the carry handle there, instead of behind it like we know it today?
    More than can really be listed...it's impressive.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Reed Knight really raped Colt's collection when he left them.... But it was Colt's fault...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast