Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC ILBE for on the cheap backpacking bag

Feedback Score

USMC ILBE for on the cheap backpacking bag

I bought one of the ILBE surplus bags at my local surplus store for $80.00 about a year ago. To replace an older pack I used a couple of times on weekend backpack trips. It is supposedly designed by Arc'teryx and manufactured by Propper. Which in my opinions make some pretty good equipment. Arc'teryx has been in the backpacking business for a while and make some pretty decent gear.

Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience using these in the USMC? how'd they hold up. Seem like they'd be good on the trail for on the cheap.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Spotsmans Guide is selling these as well...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not a marine but I looked at one of these very hard for my next pack. I decide it wasn't for me. They are durable (as my marine buddy says: "if it can survive a marine it can survive anything") and huge. Which makes for a great pack if you need to carry 80+lb of stuff and have it survive going to war. But they are pretty heavy even compared to an alice frame + alice pack or other large pack.

For my needs I could never see the time when I'd take a trip where I would need all the space/durability of an ilbe pack AND not wish I'd spent $100 more to buy a lighter more civi friendly pack. Some available packs with similar capacity to the ilbe can be found that are 1-3 lb lighter. That is a pretty huge number. I've gone on 3 day hikes carry 3 lb of gear total.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I used one regularly, many of us digarded the waste strap , until we got to bridge port. (Lots of mountains) all in all we liked them, as far as durability we repelled using them no rope damage, they were tossed and thrown all the time no real issuses with them ripping or breaking.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    I used one I picked up from ebay for almost a year and half for camping and a bugout bag and I loved it I since moved on to something else but a great pack none the less.
    Last edited by reaver22; 07-03-13 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The ILBE II packs are a super buy right now. Lighter than the MOLLE packs and more comfortable than the ALICE series.

Marines dumped them due to rear plate conflicts on body armor.

You can find them in near-new condition for less than $100 right now.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: USMC ILBE for on the cheap backpacking bag

Without armor on, it's actually a really great pack. I'm a waste strap rider, so I loved this pack for that.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    would the good folks provide links to these pls?

im looking for a BOB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    wait, are you looking for the main pack? or the assault pack?

you mentioned BOB so I assumed assault pack. here's a link to main packs in good to excellent condition with cover and waist belt. a lot of the packs you see for less are in worse condition, or missing the cover or belt...

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=144
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Not a Marine, but I used one for eight months as a contractor when I had to FOB-hop all the time and essentially live out of my bag. It worked very well for that and held up well. Never had to ruck it for long distances though; usually it was just being carried into/out of helos and convoys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast