Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Field/Survival/Bush/Whatever Knife

Feedback Score

Field/Survival/Bush/Whatever Knife

What is your favorite field/bush knife? Call it a survival knife if you want... but regardless of price or availability, with no thought to CDI points, potential product placement royalties in your new TV series, or the unlikely circumstance of hand-to-hand combat with zombies - if you are going off the grid and can only have one knife with you, what is that knife?

Thanks!
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Sturdy large folder for me. -I quit Facebook, no plans of reactivating account.

Feedback Score
    Also not on the Facebook as of yet, but here goes:

I carry two: a Leatherman Wave, and an old Spec-Plus bolo knife. Between the two, you can do just about anything.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just posted. For me it would be a simple K-BAR.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Chris Reeves-Green Beret and my Leatherman Wave, I also have a boker fold out that my wife gave me.
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Cold Steel Recon Tanto...
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    I vote for a Leatherman Wave unless you're expecting to have to kill people. Then I don't know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    for me it's a system rather than one knife. my EDC is 3.5" folder kept very sharp. I don't use it to open boxes, I use the Leatherman for that.

for outdoors stuff, I prefer a fixed blade for everything and find 4-5" to be the most useful (cutting rope/small sticks, preparing meals, etc.) a knife I really like is the Moraknife, or my favorite - my Blackjack Trailguide.

If carrying a pack, I add a small hatchet (gerber/fiskars) for firewood, trail maintenance, etc... I also carry a small 2-blade Case pocket folder kept scalpel sharp for, you know, scalpel like shit...

If I'm just hiking without a pack, I go up on the fixed blade to like 6-7" and carry my EDC folder and the Case.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Good stuff so far... but lock onto the "one knife" thing... one knife... only one knife.

We all know that only one knife is not the perfect solution, but there is a method to my madness. Sort of...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    In that case, I'd go with the larger of my two knives. You can often do little knife work with a big knife, but the reverse isn't often true.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast