Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Then Chris Reeves - Green Beret
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    Randall Model 18 - 7 1/2".

Feedback Score
    My knife is not a tactical knife just a good ol' buck knife my dad gave me. A 119 special. It has served me for the past 20 yrs and still holds a good edge. I use it for all my hunting and fishing needs. It has been a good all around knife and has never failed me when I have needed to use it. It has a 6" 420hc stainless steel blade came with a leather sheath and only weighs 7.5 oz.If I have it when my son is old enough he will get it.My grandfather bought this knife new and gave it to my dad when I was born so it has seen its share of fish and deer. It's a really good knife IMHO.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmm, tough one. Off the top of my head - the Kabar Mark 1, RAT 3 or RAT 7, or the Cold Steel Bushman.

Feedback Score
    I started doing something interesting a year or so ago... I limited myself to one knife. I started out by laying out a bunch of steel that I had collected, and would pick one blade and carry and use ONLY that knife for a few days, maybe a week... I mean use only that knife, cooking, opening boxes, in the field; I would not let myself use another knife unless what I was doing was just stupid dangerous without another blade.

I have a bunch of knives, I get new ones sent to me and I am always on the hunt for a knife deal - after about 80 weeks of limiting myself to just one knife... the collection that I pick from is rather small, and most all of the knives have a lot in common.

I thought it was intresting to see how practical application seems to thin the lot down quickly - about the time I started this little experiment, I was talking to Ethan Becker and he made a comment about knife designs that were made for people that "need a knife".

It is very clear what he was talking about...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Good stuff so far... but lock onto the "one knife" thing... one knife... only one knife.

We all know that only one knife is not the perfect solution, but there is a method to my madness. Sort of...
    ah right, I missed that...

well my usual opinion is 4-5" is perfect for almost everything - I lo-o-o-o-ve my Blackjack Trailguide because of the depthe of the blade and I can ride up on the blade in a pinch grip - but I'm not sure of the durability of the handle as it uses a threaded pommel instead of a full length tang. it's more of a hunting or camp knife and if I take it with me I always have a small hatchet as well.

for a more rough and ready field or bushcraft knife, I take my Falkniven S1 which is a 5" blade, VG-10 steel, convex ground. I believe I could escape from a sealed 55-gallond drum with this thing...

but for a "survival" situation, where I might have to ask it do all things, even though some of them not quite as well (like food prep and more delicate tasks) I would probably think 6-7" is more like what I need.

I don't like to talk about things I don't have, but right now, I would probably choose the 6.3" Falkniven A1 after seeing a friend's. funny, but handling that knife lead me to get the 5" S1, which I still maintain is a better knife for "almost" everything...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 09-09-11 at 01:39.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    One knife? Probably my Busse SAR 4.

Off the grid survival on foot in real life? Leatherman, SAR 4, GB hatchet, Hinderer XM-18 and a small folding saw. I'd also bring a medium grit DMT sharpener.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Love my Ontaro Rat 3 for general camping/hiking/fishing hunting use. Handy size for most purposes. But if I could only have one knife it would be my RAT 5 or the USMC marked Camillus KABAR I bought at a yard sale around 1979 for 2.50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    אני לדודי ודודי לי

NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not into knives so for me, it's a plain, simple, cheap Buck Skinner. Maybe one day I'll be educated on the value of a more expensive knife.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast