Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I cant decide on which Medical field of study

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I cant decide on which Medical field of study

Hay guys I'm at a cross roads in my schooling. I'm 3 years out of the mil and have been going to school for a few years now. I want to go into the medical field but I cant decide which diciploine to focus and I need to start applying to programs.

I'm considering Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant I know some of you here are EMTs, Medics, Corpsman, PAs and Doctors can you tell me what you think? I want to do more trama related stuff so whats the best choice.

I dont want to go to medical school right now, I'm not even considering it at this point. I live in Rochester NY so there is no shortage of great schools in the area and with the GI bill its a no brainer.

Jon
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    As a medic I have always aspired to be a PA.

For NP, you need to go to nursing school, then on to NP. Too much redundancy.

For PA, just get a bachelors and apply to school. You can continue with your current major and not have to take a bunch of classes that just add another year or two onto your schooling.

But that's just me, YMMV.

Feedback Score

Response from a PA

ICANHITHIMMAN

As usual, it depends. What are your professional goals?

I was a DUSTOFF medic (91B2F) from 1977-1980 in West Germany and started PA school in 1981. Thirty years later, I am grateful to be a PA and could not imagine doing anything else. Getting into school is a real challenge (the school where I teach has 780 applicants for 44 seats this year).

I'd suggest devising a pro and con list after carefully researching the various professions open to you with your military experience (presumably medical) and further education. This would include talking with people who have been in the professions for a few years. An important question to ask is: "Would you do it all over again knowing what you know now?

http://www.aapa.org/
    http://www.paeaonline.org/

Good Luck

Kiwi57

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Physician Assistant. Licensure in most states allows for a much broader scope of practice than Nurse Practicioner and you'll have much more flexibility and have many more options available to you. As mentioned, you need a Bachelor's degree in something, preferable science-related. I'd recommend finding a couple of good PA programs and go talk with a counselor - get recommendations as to how best to prepare your education for that track and how to make your application stand out. Consider a BS degree following a pre-med course of study. It may help you if you later decide to go to medical school.

The Physician Assistant concept was initiated to provide a civilian role for all the talented and experienced military coming out of the Viet Nam era. There's still a soft spot in their hearts for ex-military.

If and when you do go the PA route, consider a specialty track. There are some post-graduate fellowship programs after PA training for specializing in some areas of medicine, especially in some of the surgical specialities and Emergency Medicine. The demand in Orthopedics is especially high. Our orthopedics department has been looking hard for an Ortho PA...they're hard to come by and salaries start around $100,000.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-05-11 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I say PA. Might as well get started on your BA now!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It depends on what you want. When I got out of the Fleet, I'd have never believed you if you told me I would go into any medical field whatsoever. Yet, a few years later, after doing the whole CBP thing, here I am. I worked a 911 ambulance service as an EMT, then did Medic, working in a hospital as an ER Tech while going to school to prep for med school. I want to do trauma and emergency medicine. For me, this choice works.

For you, if you want to do some trauma, you can do it as a tech, but you can also do it as a nurse or PA. It comes down to how much time you want to invest, and what end result you're chasing. For some, taking the time away from working is a difficult sacrifice. Others work while in school. It comes down to how much time, money and all that you're willing to part with.

No matter what, the medical field is probably one of the best to get into right now. A DoL report a while back said something about the field expects to see 16-19% growth over the next few years, so it's a good time to get in.

Hope this helps.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks guys

RIT and UofR both have PA programs and I have already geared my current degree in the science/bio/med direction. So I'm on track for any one that I pic right now. There are alot more school options for Nursing in the area.

Thaks for the links and the advice I suppose I will ask the NPs and PAs at my doctors office the questions you poised to me.

I didnt do anything medical in the military beyond CLS traning. I just like helping people and when ever someone went down or needed stiches, bandages etc I liked to watch and help when allowed.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you have a personality that includes altruism which in my estimation is the best starting point for any health career.

I'm usually reluctant to give too much advice, but you might consider getting an EMT certification. In addition to didactic training, EMT usually includes practical clinical observation with local EMS caregivers. Many colleges and universities either include EMT courses in their allied health departments or give course credit for community programs. Might be a way to get your feet wet while making progress toward your BA/BS degree. Although most PA programs no longer require 3-5 years of full time medical/nursing experience before admission, they do value it, so it is helpful to say "I'm an EMT". Might also open the door to part time EMS or ER jobs. You will be exposed to many disciplines in the ER which may help you sort things out.

Consider "shadowing" a NP, PA, doc, or other provider if they will let you. Privacy issues can be rightfully cumbersome at times. Possessing a medical "credential" such as an EMT cert. may make this somewhat easier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a paramedic, I will post a reply. I will also begin by stating that I am in Pennsylvania. Things may be different in your state. The prehospital field can be interesting. Unless you are in a big city or near a major interstate, don't expect to see much trauma. I service an area of about 15,000 people, more than 50% of which are 65 or older. I can honestly say that I get a "true" trauma patient maybe four times a year. Where I am at it's mostly a taxi service, sorry to say. Salaries suck for the most part.
    In PA, a PA can function in the prehospital environment, as can an RN, CRNP, or MD. While an EMT or medic cert may get you some experience and help pay bills while you go to school, I must say that it currently is a poor career choice. If I had it to do again I would still become a medic, but I would also have busted ass to get into a PA or RN school. I would be done by now making three times what I currently make. Plus, I could still do the prehospital thing WHEN I WANTED.
    The advice about job shadowing is right on. I would bet that you could walk into your local ambulance or fire station and they would let you ride along with them for however long you wanted. Sign some papers and off you go. There are a lot of people that get into the field this way.
    Ok, this post is long enough. If you would like to know anything else about prehospital medicine, shoot me a PM.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    altruism I had to look that up. But yes thats me in a nut shell just feels right. I'm going to look into the shadowing I have a friend who is a anistegeolist he can set something up for me.

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast