Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why non latex gloves?

Feedback Score

Why non latex gloves?

Could someone please post why non latex gloves are so important. What are the other options and why they make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Because latex allergies are somewhat common.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Latex allergy in the general population is actually fairly rare, about the same as, say, peanut allergy, but increased exposure to latex increases the incidence. So, while the incidence in the general population is less than 1%, it's about 10% among health care workers. That's the main driving force for non-latex gloves. OSHA regulations play a big role.

Anaphylaxis as a consequence of latex allergy is rare, but it's deadly if it occurs, and you can't really predict which people are going to go from sensitization to anaphylaxis, and when.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Latex-free gloves are starting to be the norm just to avoid untoward consequences to patients, especially in emergency situations where the patient may be unconscious and unable to relay allergy information. The above post is correct as well, as a fair percentage of hospital staff also have latex allergy. Both types should be available in the hospital but for EMS or units with limited resources, you'll probably just get latex-free.

I for one absolutely hate latex-free gloves because they do not conform to your hands, have a powdery film on them which contributes to them not staying in place, and make examining patients almost impossible. And just forget procedures which require fine motor skills such as putting in lines. I will not wear them anymore. Thankfully I don't have a latex allergy.

Feedback Score
    Good thing I don't use condoms anymore, I might get a latex allergy...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apricotshot View Post
    Good thing I don't use condoms anymore, I might get a latex allergy...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullittmcqueen View Post
    ...snip

Thankfully I don't have a latex allergy.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the patient just as susceptible to the latex as the wearer?

(I really have no idea and I'm not being a smart ass)
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the patient just as susceptible to the latex as the wearer?

(I really have no idea and I'm not being a smart ass)
    read the first sentence from my post:

Latex-free gloves are starting to be the norm just to avoid untoward consequences to patients, especially in emergency situations where the patient may be unconscious and unable to relay allergy information.
    I said I am thankful I don't have latex allergy because I can choose not to wear those terrible latex-free gloves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, you know what they say... comprehension is key. It's apparent that my comprehension doesn't turn on until after the THIRD cup of coffee.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Well, you know what they say... comprehension is key. It's apparent that my comprehension doesn't turn on until after the THIRD cup of coffee.
    On cup #2 myself....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast