Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: I cant decide on which Medical field of study

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Jon, it will most surely depend on how much you want to do. I just finished nursing school and I can tell you first hand what they teach is how to take care of stable patients and identify ones who aren't. I actually am enrolled in an EMT class now to see the unstable part of the patient census. I think its a good thing not only to be able to identify patients in distress, but also how to take care of them. If you aspire to be an NP, I would suggest trying to be a PA instead. With that being said, I want to work critical care. I feel in this area you really have to know your patients....... not just pass meds.
    Thanks for the first hand info, I just got my 2 year done and have enough credits for a 4 year degree, lol SHIT. But that's due to my transfer credits and all the other courses I took that don't fit into my liberal arts health related degree. Had micro last term WOW that's hard! I don't know what I want to do now, the micro KICKED MY ASS and now I feel like an idiot, very defeating to say the least. I'm heading back to the Iron for the summer and I'm looking forward to a little cash in my pocket,just so afraid of getting stuck there.

Jon
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Thanks for the first hand info, I just got my 2 year done and have enough credits for a 4 year degree, lol SHIT. But that's due to my transfer credits and all the other courses I took that don't fit into my liberal arts health related degree. Had micro last term WOW that's hard! I don't know what I want to do now, the micro KICKED MY ASS and now I feel like an idiot, very defeating to say the least. I'm heading back to the Iron for the summer and I'm looking forward to a little cash in my pocket,just so afraid of getting stuck there.

Jon
    Don't let yourself feel down about classes. I have had my fair share of moments where I felt crazy, but you shake it off. Keep in mind these classes delve much farther into specifics you really don't need to know in all honesty. It may help when you have an patient with a staph infection and you are judging which generation cephalosporin they need..... but in my field you have a MD to make that call...... I feel the need to know so that if the MD makes a mistake I can be a patient advocate..... but that's what being an RN is all about.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I cant decide on which Medical field of study

Jon
    Hardest part of Micro was taking a culture from where the sun don't shine for me!

Seriously though, Micro is an intense class. I did it over a summer which may have been easier due to the total immersion but still finished with a lower but passing grade.

Much of that info really doesn't apply to RN's as much as it does to the Docs and Microbiologists in the lab IMO–I wouldn't take it too hard man. If you survived it, that's good enough.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some if not all national medical organizations view firearm ownership as a social evil, and this mindset filters down to some extent. My point is don't mention guns as one of your hobbies--on your application or during an interview. I promise you that academia is biased on this issue.

Schools in the South and Southwest may be cheaper. Cost of living is said to be lower here.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Some if not all national medical organizations view firearm ownership as a social evil, and this mindset filters down to some extent. My point is don't mention guns as one of your hobbies--on your application or during an interview. I promise you that academia is biased on this issue.

This is good advice for job/education interviews in medical fields as well as most other areas. IMHO, it's usually best not to bring up guns or shooting on school or employment applications. Note that it's also probably wise to make sure that these kinds of things don't show up on accessible forms of social media.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I have never had a job interview before, I was thinking about taking a class on it or something. It really makes me uneasy even though I may not shot it.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroborous View Post
    Hardest part of Micro was taking a culture from where the sun don't shine for me!

Seriously though, Micro is an intense class. I did it over a summer which may have been easier due to the total immersion but still finished with a lower but passing grade.

Much of that info really doesn't apply to RN's as much as it does to the Docs and Microbiologists in the lab IMO–I wouldn't take it too hard man. If you survived it, that's good enough.
    LOL you just need the right patient. I was in the ER at Portsmouth Naval Hospital back in 2001 as a patient. They were conducting tests etc bla, bla, blood from arms, wrist, fingers etc, I think it was about the third time I was asked to roll onto my side when I decided this is ****ing NUTS and my twisted sense of humor came out (I wont lie I was a little scared I was going to die). Anyhow the nurse, pa (a man)who ever proceeded to take the stool sample and place it on that little card. He said something to the effect of "sorry I know this is awkward" to which my reply was "hay as long as it was as good for you as it was for me were golden". The look on that guys face was worth the 10 hours stay in the ER! LOL still makes me chuckle

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I cant decide on which Medical field of study

LOL you just need the right patient. I was in the ER at Portsmouth Naval Hospital back in 2001 as a patient. They were conducting tests etc bla, bla, blood from arms, wrist, fingers etc, I think it was about the third time I was asked to roll onto my side when I decided this is ****ing NUTS and my twisted sense of humor came out (I wont lie I was a little scared I was going to die). Anyhow the nurse, pa (a man)who ever proceeded to take the stool sample and place it on that little card. He said something to the effect of "sorry I know this is awkward" to which my reply was "hay as long as it was as good for you as it was for me were golden". The look on that guys face was worth the 10 hours stay in the ER! LOL still makes me chuckle
    That is hilarious!

That dark sense of humor you have will serve you well in your career. Just don't say that to your patients if they're getting a culture taken by you!
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617