Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Practicality of the Battlecomp and similar muzzle devices on a defensive carbine.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Realistic assessments as to cause/effect and prioritization of critical tasks are in no way to be mistaken for a "cowboy" attitude.

"Cowboy" is using a crystal ball or a scrying mirror in a paltry attempt to define what should happen in any given situation.

I take a shot at a guy, it should hit....but there may be other, largely undefinable crap going on that gets in the way of that, whether it's my inability to train up properly, he zigs instead of zags, a banana peel is introduced under my foot by a cartoon rabbit. If you want to wargame things in your head in such a way that you think you'll have the time and mental wherewithal to cram a set of cans on your head because you wished it were so really, really hard ahead of time, that's on you, and is of no realistic impact on anybody but you, however....

What is DIScouraged is presuming to cast aspersions on others on the basis of a narrow, faulty concept of what a realistic assessment happens to be.

To wit: Lots of folks utilize a carbine as their primary HD tool, so by assuming that getting to it is an across-the board problem, you, regal, are applying the royal "we" where it does not fit.

Do not post in this thread again.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by regal View Post
    In a HD situation if you have to to get to your rifle, you should have time to throw on a pair of e-muffs.

This cowboy attitude is just lack of discipline and training. We have tools now that our fathers generation didn't, so use them. No excuses.

Resposible use of these tools should be encouraged here.
    Lets forget about the fact that you have a "threat" or "multiple threats" in your home, that your family, kids, dog, whatever, might be in mortal danger and you're worried about "ear muffs".

The fact that you think you know how much time you'll have or what you can or can't do is just baffling, and goes to prove how uneducated some are about those circumstances.

You're in for a very sobering lesson if god forbid you're ever in a situation like that.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you're that worried about it, get a suppressor.
    Gunshots inside enclosures, while far from comfortable, are easily dealt with to deal with whatever you are trying to contain.
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    How much abuse will those triggers actually take though?
    What info do you have suggesting that Giessele triggers might have some sort of reliability problem?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use an AAC Brakeout. It's only a half-brake but it is still loud as **** if you're standing next to it. Since I'm not military or police I reasoned that faster follow-up shots are more important than worrying about pissing off people standing next to me. If I end up having to use it to shoot bad guys in my apartment I'll just have to count on auditory exclusion until I get a can I suppose. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    What info do you have suggesting that Giessele triggers might have some sort of reliability problem?
    Geissele SSA triggers are no more complicated than the stock AR-15 trigger, I wouldn't think there would be any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    You sleep with your rifle "attached" to your body? Kinky.
    Last edited by Spengo; 11-04-11 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I dont have any. I have never owned one.

I think you were assuming I was stating, when I wasnt.

I was ASKING how tough the triggers are.

Im not interested in "Ive never had a single problem" when the gun leaves the safe and goes to the range every couple weeks.

I would like to know how tough Giessele or Timney triggers actually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Going back to my post on the battle comp on an 11.5" upper.... and it pissing off the people standing next to me at a class.

I was trying to see how bad the side concussion is in general on that shorter barrel. As I might put one on my work gun. Someone posted that they like standing next to the dude with the comp as it puts one more stressor on them in training to have to work around which is all well and good.

Auditory/concussive exclusion aside, and looking at the same idea from the other angle, I figured that if I had to shoot my SBR patrol rifle close proximity to a co worker in a real fight (with people shooting back at you), you would want to try to reduce as many of those stressors as possible. Especially if your in a tight urban environment with things like narrow alleys, parking garages, etc.

Or maybe it doesn't matter at all...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hear ya TCAV. I can totally understand where youre coming form.

But if you are worried about having classmates or real life scenarios with your teammates next to you when shooting,

I honestly think your best bet is to go with a suppressor.

Im sure you have been next to an A2 while someone was shooting, thats not too much fun either.

I think suppressed is the way to go in that kind of environment
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TACAV View Post
    Or maybe it doesn't matter at all...
    You wont notice something as a little pressure from a BC in a gunfight.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    I dont have any. I have never owned one.

I think you were assuming I was stating, when I wasnt.

I was ASKING how tough the triggers are.

Im not interested in "Ive never had a single problem" when the gun leaves the safe and goes to the range every couple weeks.

I would like to know how tough Giessele or Timney triggers actually are.
    Hey bro, they're good to go (Geissele). I had a SSF in an M16A1 lower in Afghanistan. I ran the lower with a MK12 MOD1 upper as well as standard M4 uppers. With the M4 uppers I "ran it hard." Never had a problem. They use high quality materials. I'd say I put close to 5k rounds through that lower / FCG between training and actual engagements.

Plenty of other guys used Geissele's in their M4's as well. (Shhhh)

On the civilian / personally owned side, I also have a Geissele SD-E in my BCM SS410, and a S3G in one of my 6920's. No issues. The 6920 is a BattleComped race gun that I regularly heat up real good.

Geissele has a contract with USSOCOM for the SSF, if you need any more proof of their reliability.

I can't speak for Timneys, but from everything I've heard, I would not trust my life to one.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast