Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Practicality of the Battlecomp and similar muzzle devices on a defensive carbine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had one on my 10.5" for a while.....it annoyed me enough that I stuck the A2 back on it. The thought of shooting the thing indoors makes me shudder.

Although I might not notice the blast at the time, I'd surely notice the blood running out of my ears afterwards. But maybe the A2 would be just as bad percussing off of walls too.....I don't know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TACAV View Post
    If I ran my 11.5" in a class with a battlecomp on it would I be "that guy?"

How is the side concussion of a battlecomp with the shorter barrel?
    Obviously it would be more pronounced than on a 16"er but just how pronounced?
    Jeff Gonzales is probably as much anti-brake as anyone I know of. His primary gripe is their noise/blast indoors. I recently did a three-day TriCon course from him. I took some crap from him because of the BC, but he only noticed it because he wasn't able to balance a shell casing on it for trigger drills. No one on the line, including him, complained about or even mentioned noise or blast during the course.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Yes, obviously by my participation on this board, free tips delivered to anyone that asks, countless hours on ranges all over the world instructing shooters, several combat tours, and five seperate training programs written by yours truly requiring 15 hour days for several months at a time for each, individual attention paid to instructor development, product testing and reviews for various organizations in addition to my normal job load, and a constant effort to ensure the quality of information spread on the forum, I am an elitist, selfish, snob.

When it comes to product reviews it is a good idea to have experience with the product you are reviewing, recommending, or criticising. And unless you are one of the most prolific and proficient shooters here, one month is not sufficient for more than one device, especially when that item is chosen due to cost and not performance. It gives the distinct impression that you are justifying a purchase, not making an impartial recommendation.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know what M4Carbine exists for, all this time I was working from the guidance of the Staff and the M4Carbine mission statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    No, they adopt the attribute of incredulity when the horsethief offering up his sage opinion is doing so with a staggering whole month-plus...wow!... experience to back it....given that there's not a lot of the market share you'll have encountered in those intervening days since you started your own thread.

Perhaps one might take a mental step back and note that one didn't exactly chime in with what devices he encountered within that 35+ days, that were heretofore unencountered. Since you didn't brief anybody your suddenly-topful helping of objective experience with muzzle devices, in your own thread about such things, one might recognize that it's a bit of a disconnect, one that warrants question. Nobody knows shit about what you have or have not encountered until you TELL THEM. If you learned something, great, but at no point did you comprehensively spell that out it. So, yeah....

Come on.

Can't help but note that you vapor-locked on the "Industry Professional" side of the slash....while totally missing the "Moderator" side of it, and plowed on with a blithe lack of concern for the repercussions of your public statement. That lack of attention to detail further undermines any technical word you have to pass, because who the hell knows what you failed to notice in that regard if you can't even read.

You may now have the opportunity to edit your above post into something that resembles a civil answer to the duly skeptical question posed to you.

EDIT: Y'know what.....never mind. ****it.
    I don't think either of you need to justify yourselves or your qualifications to anyone
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+ 1 to BC on defensive carbine

I currently run the BC 1.0 and 1.5 on several of my rifles, including my home defense rifle. I have also used the Troy Claymore that has been mentioned here a few times and a variety of others. ( I was running the Troy Claymore on my defensive rifle before I discovered the BC.) I felt less muzzle rise and noticed less noise from the BC's simply put. That is why I changed up.
    I put a variety of accessories on personnel rifles (BC's, BAD Selector, Norgan,) I don't see this as a crutch, but a tailoring of the weapon to the individual shooter. It will not make you a better shooter as stated , but it will probably help you to put accurate follow up shots in your desired spot with a little less work on your part. In a home defense situation you pay a steep price if that shot goes somewhere you didn't want it to, especially if your in a apt/condo with someone on the other side of the wall. Just one guys 2 cents for what it is worth.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A BattleComp and a Geissele trigger is the best thing you can ever do to an AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezin23 View Post
    VLTOR A5 is a nice addition too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezin23 View Post
    How much abuse will those triggers actually take though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I wouldn't tailor your gear to suit those standing beside you. They may get annoyed by it at some point in time, but that time will pass and they will still be in one piece so its not really a concern.

Go to a class using what you'd use from day to day, don't specifically use a setup for class only and then transition back to your normal setup because that pretty much defeats the purpose.

I personally wouldn't mind running 2 man drills standing next to a partner running a comp because the blast from his weapon will help me learn to focus better on whats really important at the time and what really requires no attention, think of it like running a course with mass confusion- artillery sim's, flash bang sims, explosions, and rapid gun fire going off all around you.... or maybe just someone constantly slapping you in the face... it would help with focus and target distinction... imo

Train as you'd fight... and well you know the rest...

As for using a comp indoors... I think when the situation arises where my AR is needed indoors, my ears will be #38 on a list of things to worry about... once again just my opinion.

Good post, I hear ya.

Part of the reason I asked, the last carbine class I went to I was using a 16" carbine with an A2. Since that class Ive tried out an AAC brakeout. But without a can on it, it can get pretty obnoxious after a while.

My current Patrol rifle I carry while working is actually 9mm MP5. (odd I know)

However there are those in charge that have been kicking around the idea of implementing new policies where we could be using our own individually owned 5.56 carbines as patrol rifles. In which case I would be using my 11.5" gun.

I'll have to get a new upper (the one I have currently has a full AAC blackout comp on it as i was using it as a dedicated suppressed upper.) Since Suppressor use will not be allowed on a work gun I was going to put another A2 or a blackout flash hider on it just like my 16"er (train as you fight just as you said)... but then I started looking at the battle comps as another possible alternative.

BCmJUnKie Cool vids thanks for posting.
    Last edited by TACAV; 11-02-11 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I
    As for using a comp indoors... I think when the situation arises where my AR is needed indoors, my ears will be #38 on a list of things to worry about... once again just my opinion.
    This notion is LOST on so many peoples' minds. It blows my mind what people are worried about in a life and death scenario.

I fired my 11.5 with an A2 flash hider without ears at the range once. I thought my shit kaboomed. But it a fight, if I hear it at all, it's going to be the sweetest sound ever.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This notion is LOST on so many peoples' minds. It blows my mind what people are worried about in a life and death scenario.
    That;s because most that talk about it have never been in a life or death situation, so have no idea what's important. Not their fault though, it's something you have to experience.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast