Thread: Mesa Tactical Sidesaddles... retention

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Mesa Tactical Sidesaddles... retention

So I've got a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle on my Mossberg, and its great... except when you leave shells in there for a long time, they tend to loosen up and lose their grip on the shells. Mesa warns against storing shells in the sidesaddle, and offers a harder insert, which I have... but due to my shotguns intended use, shells must stay in the sidesaddle for extended periods of time.
    So does anyone have any tricks for improving Mesa's retention?
    Im using the 6 round model, shells down. Ammunition is Federal low recoil 00 buck.
    Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    There's threads about this exact subject on m4c.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ht=mesa+rubber

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ht=mesa+rubber --------> post #13

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you go to Mesa Tactical's homepage, they have an article about the retention on their shell carriers and they're experimenting with different elastomers for the inserts. I believe you can get a replacement that might possibly work better for you.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I took the back plate off mine and removed the rubber tube. I took the rubber tube to Home Depot and found the correct size electrical wire, bought some, cut it to match and slid it in the tube. I put the whole thing back together. Problem solved, much better retention.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    So I've got a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle on my Mossberg, and its great... except when you leave shells in there for a long time, they tend to loosen up and lose their grip on the shells. Mesa warns against storing shells in the sidesaddle, and offers a harder insert, which I have... but due to my shotguns intended use, shells must stay in the sidesaddle for extended periods of time.
    Im using the 6 round model, shells down. Ammunition is Federal low recoil 00 buck.
    Thanks for the help.
    I had the same issue on my duty Benelli M4 and of course I just never bothered taking the shells out and they got really loose. At first I just took it apart and rotated the rubber, but then I tried substituting some RC car silicone fuel tubing and it has worked great for about a year now. I leave it loaded 24/7 and it still works as new, with no noticeable "dents" when you take rounds out.

Previously, I had used the tubing as AR extractor "O" rings back when the DFender was just too much to pay for. I ran them in 5 AR's over many thousands of class, training, and fun rounds with no deformation or any other issues.

Go to a hobby store and buy some silicone tubing in the same diameter as your existing tubing.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...es-Fuel-Tubing

Good luck!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I had the same issue on my duty Benelli M4 and of course I just never bothered taking the shells out and they got really loose. At first I just took it apart and rotated the rubber, but then I tried substituting some RC car silicone fuel tubing and it has worked great for about a year now. I leave it loaded 24/7 and it still works as new, with no noticeable "dents" when you take rounds out.

Previously, I had used the tubing as AR extractor "O" rings back when the DFender was just too much to pay for. I ran them in 5 AR's over many thousands of class, training, and fun rounds with no deformation or any other issues.

Go to a hobby store and buy some silicone tubing in the same diameter as your existing tubing.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...es-Fuel-Tubing

Good luck!

Dennis.
    Wow, great info! Thanks!
    ill get right on that, I appreciate it

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    It is a problem. I put Q tip sticks inside the rubber tube that retains the shells and that has helped a lot. Personally I actually prefer the cheaper plastic side saddles now because of this issue.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.