Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THE MOUNTAIN GUN

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Beautiful work. Still want to get a .44 mag from you one of these days.

Feedback Score
    I've got a 625-3 4" that I'd like to make more of a compact firearm vis-a-vis grips and barrel.

Is this blashpemy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chapperjoe View Post
    I've got a 625-3 4" that I'd like to make more of a compact firearm vis-a-vis grips and barrel.

Is this blashpemy?
    I do it from time to time I would be glad to help you.
    WWW.SUPERIORFIREARMSLLC.COM
    10111 Production Court
    Louisville ky. 40299
    502-365-2244

Former VSM Regional Endorsed Instructor

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Excellent Mr. Smith! I've never really been into revolvers with the exception of a K frame I got when I was 12 but you're pictures make me want to add to the collection! Well done sir!
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    You do magnificent work, and I admire the concept and the end result-but frankly, if I need to trudge around mountains or be in adverse environments and use a .45 ACP cartridge, I'm far more likely to be carrying a Glock 21, due to it's lower weight, greater ammunition capacity, far greater imperviousness to climactic conditions, lower maintenance, field strippability-but that doesn't mean that I can't admire and respect what you've done or what the recipient wanted.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice work...I have always lusted over a S&W Mountain in 45LC, but they seemed to go sky high early on...prices being what they are today makes them look like a steal back then. Hindsight. The Lew Hortons were great as well. Nice to see someone keeping the tradition alive!!!

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I would give a left nut for the 45acp mountain gun. Time to hit the gun show. The pre lock and pre mim wheel guns in 45acp have all but dried up in the PacNW unless you have an extra $800-1000 to spend on the base gun
    "S/F"

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken

Feedback Score
    Is it cost effecient or even possible to have a square butt 629 converted to a round butt? RB pre locks are getting impossible to find and I already have a 629 4" SB.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Other that the cylinder walls being thinner, there's no difference between a 625MG and a 629MG. Other than increasing pressures to the point you blow out a cylinder wall, .45 Super and .460 Rowland are going to take no more toll on the gun than a full house .44 Mag.
    I'm fairly certain that the 625s in .45 ACP and .45 Colt are not given the same heat treatment as the 627, 629 and 657 and, thus, are softer and not suitable for higher pressure loads in the Super and Rowland class. I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that from John Taffin or John Linebaugh (both staunch .45 Colt and 625 fans). Those thin chamber walls also drastically reduce the safety margin.

I had a 625-3 for a short while but it's cylinder gap was way to tight and when the gun got luke warm, it would lock up so I sold it to fund an AR. While it was still cool and running I loved it.

Feedback Score
    I remember drooling over the S & Ws in Gun and Ammo magazine in the late 80s and early 90s!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast