Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shovel? And other tools

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Shovel? And other tools

I don't have a camp shovel. Is it better to get one of the folding e-tool styles or just a lightweight garden spade?

Forseeable uses would be latrine, dakota fire, other various small digging tasks.

Also, I have two hatchets and am not too enthralled with either of them. The first is a cheap one that got me through scouts...metal handle, rubber grip (that slips and slides all over the place)...it was a Wal-mart item.

The second is more of a boy's axe and it works well for splitting firewood but is a bit large and heavy.

I'm liking the look of the SOG hatchet.

Thoughts?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The WWII style shovels work well and can often be found for a few bucks at surplus stores.

The fiskars hatchet is pretty nice for the money; just be ready to some work the first time you roll the edge. It's pretty thin from the factory but works well. A Husqvarna hatchet is also a good choice but will need a good bit of file work to perform to its fullest potential.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    a little nylon garden trowl is very light, costs about a buck and will perform most light duty chores so long as you aren't trying to dig in hardpan, granite or soil thick with tree roots. It is also handy for making the breathing side hole for a dakota fire or cat holes.

For larger chores, I've burned through a couple of e-tools with the hinge being the weak link. I went to a spetnaz shovel; slightly heavier but much more robust. I strap it to the outside of the pack.

I'm one of those idiots that pack heavy though...

On the hatchet, I second the advice above with the fiskars. Choose the size you want and be happy.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 10-03-12 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    In my truck tool box I have a mini shovel. Basicaly about 3/4 the size of a regular shovel but with a 2 1/2 foot handle. I've found this works better than an E-tool for heavier digging chores. I also have an Estwing Campers Axe. It has a 16" handle and is all steel. It's a bit heavy but will handle light duty chopping needs pretty well.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 10-03-12 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lowes sells a small D handle shovel for $10. Picture a 1/4 scale version of a normal shovel, built for an adult, not your kids garden toy. It is larger than my Gerber E-tool, but I like it much more. Also, no moving parts to worry about. And for the price, you can get several.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdain View Post
    Lowes sells a small D handle shovel for $10. Picture a 1/4 scale version of a normal shovel, built for an adult, not your kids garden toy. It is larger than my Gerber E-tool, but I like it much more. Also, no moving parts to worry about. And for the price, you can get several.
    That's exactly what I was trying to describe. Great little shovel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got one for my daughter to play with, then saw how well built they are. After "borrowing" hers a few times, I grabbed a few for myself.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I just watched a couple videos of the Cold Steel Special Forces shovel...looks pretty good and versatile...feedback?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im thinkin of treating myself to a Glock shovel for Christmas, anyone use one or have any thoughts on these?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use the folding Gerber shovel, it works pretty well and folds down nicely. You can even get a plastic case for it which makes it easier to carry if backpacking.

As for a hatchet, I've gotten away from using one. I now use a Silky folding saw instead, it's about half a pound, folds down to 9", and does everything I need. They've gotten a bit spendy lately because they use a really high-end blade. There are other good folding saws that cost less, like the Bahco saw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast