Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CA - Brown bans OC and passes long-gun registration.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reading the Stars and Stripes today a CA lawmaker was quoted as saying "Now our citizens won't have to worry about their children being shot by some crazy gun-toting vigilante"

Makes my ****ing blood boil.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Never mind.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-11-11 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I also just read about this...

Calif. Governor Veto Allows Warrantless Cellphone Searches

http://informationliberation.com/?id=36848

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    While CA passes laws that give student aide to illegal aliens, they pass other laws that take the rights from legal citizens. They have abandoned the American way of life, they have trampled on the constitution, and they have betrayed this country. Gov Brown and everyone of his lackies are domestic enemies to the constitution. But, the plame for this lies not only on the gov, but also on the people. They made their bed, now they must lie in it.

I have 1 year and 8 days left in CA, I cant wait to leave. For those staying to fight the good fight, Godspeed. I will continue to support you financially and emotionally, but I can not raise my family behind enemy lines any longer.

Myabe this is just hypothetical: Wake up America. Its time to start the peaceful revolution. But, if they fire the first shot, then fire the next 500,000.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    While CA passes laws that give student aide to illegal aliens, they pass other laws that take the rights from legal citizens. They have abandoned the American way of life, they have trampled on the constitution, and they have betrayed this country. Gov Brown and everyone of his lackies are domestic enemies to the constitution. But, the plame for this lies not only on the gov, but also on the people. They made their bed, now they must lie in it.

I have 1 year and 8 days left in CA, I cant wait to leave. For those staying to fight the good fight, Godspeed. I will continue to support you financially and emotionally, but I can not raise my family behind enemy lines any longer.

Myabe this is just hypothetical: Wake up America. Its time to start the peaceful revolution. But, if they fire the first shot, then fire the next 500,000.
    I will stay and fight. I fear it may actually come to that. I don't see a way to vote ourselves out of this mess. The people have been brainwashed into thinking this is a democracy.

The long gun registry came out of the blue. I heard nothing of this until today. The OC ban I thought could have a silver lining. After this string of bad news, I am not so optimistic.

Everyone is so damn scared to be labeled a "right wing nut," we have no leadership in our corner. Nobody wants to be the mole to get whacked, but is there none among us to stand up at all? Why is no armed peaceful rally set up in Sacramento? It is our duty to remind the powers that be that freedom is not theirs to control. "Freedom isn't free" is a catchy slogan to make people feel better about sending their loved ones to fight in Iraq. It should be remembered and implimented here first. The tyrants are at the gates, bumping in the night. Its time to bump back.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    The OC ban I thought could have a silver lining. After this string of bad news, I am not so optimistic.
    The silver lining for those of you who don't know, is the UOC ban opened the backdoor for "shall issue" CCW reform in CA.

CA's state constitution does not have a "right to bear arms" provision.

Hence the reason why, prior to 2010, the court system in CA have consistantly ruled that CA's anti-gun laws were constitutional.

It wasn't until 2010, when SCOTUS ruled the Second Amendment is incorporated and applied to the states, that CA got a "right to bear arms" provision.

In two recent court cases challenging CA's "may issue" CCW system, the judges ruled that CA's "may issue" CCW system was legal because a non-prohibited person could open carry an unloaded handgun as an alternative to being issued a CA LTC permit.

Now that unloaded open carry of a handgun has been banned, it removes that reasoning to prevent "shall issue" CCW reform in CA.
    Last edited by Quiet; 10-12-11 at 10:21. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    Now that unloaded open carry of a handgun has been banned, it removes that reasoning to prevent "shall issue" CCW reform in CA.
    My intention isn't to offend you but there's no logical "reasoning" behind a lot of their laws and if "shall issue" happens for CA I'd be very surprised.

You seem to be knowledgeable about what's happening in terms of 2nd Amendment issues in CA. What is your estimated time line for this to happen? How long should CA residents be forced to defend themselves with sticks and stones?

EDIT: Below.

It wasn't until 2010, when SCOTUS ruled the Second Amendment is incorporated and applied to the states, that CA got a "right to bear arms" provision.
    This hasn't done shit for Chicago, New York, DC, etc. I know people are hoping that it'll pass CCW shall issue in CA but I think it's a slim chance. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Irish; 10-12-11 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    The silver lining for those of you who don't know, is the UOC ban opened the backdoor for "shall issue" CCW reform in CA.

CA's state constitution does not have a "right to bear arms" provision.

Hence the reason why, prior to 2010, the court system in CA have consistantly ruled that CA's anti-gun laws were constitutional.

In two recent court cases challenging CA's "may issue" CCW system, the judges ruled that CA's "may issue" CCW system was legal because a non-prohibited person could open carry an unloaded handgun as an alternative to being issued a CA LTC permit.

The United States Constitution does. In order to be part of the United states of America, the states had to adopt the Constitution. This seems to have been lost along the way.

I covered my hopes for the UOC ban on page 1 here and in other threads. The pessimist in me is currently prevailing. The silver lining is barely visible from my vantage point. I really hope you are right.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    The United States Constitution does. In order to be part of the United states of America, the states had to adopt the Constitution. This seems to have been lost along the way.

I covered my hopes for the UOC ban on page 1 here and in other threads. The pessimist in me is currently prevailing. The silver lining is barely visible from my vantage point. I really hope you are right.

Not quite. The BOR only applied to the Federal government at the time of ratification.

The 14th Amendment was supposed to apply the BOR to the states.

A couple shitty SCOTUS rulings in the Reconstruction era voided the 14th Amendment for this purpose.

Since then SCOTUS has had to incorporate pieces of each amendment to the states as cases come up. The 2nd Amendment was not incorporated to the states until the McDonald case in 2010.

We still need a ruling on the level of scrutiny the 2nd will have which basically sets the tone for what restrictions the governments are allowed to enact. We have incorporation but are in a gray area where cases are going to establish what restrictions are acceptable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    While I believe you Belmont, I am failing to understand how it can not apply to the states. It would seem useless to have the bill of rights if you state could consider it, or sections thereof, invalid. When states pass laws, these can be challanged on constitutional grounds going all the way to SCOTUS. I am failing to understand just how the constitution works on a stste by state level.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast