Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any trap shooters on here?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot trap, been shooting since about 2003-2004, there abouts. Down here, at least, things tend to be a little laid back as long as things with the machines run smooth and the scorekeepers know what they are doing. Use to be really good, with price increase on shells and college and then work I haven't had as much time to compete. Took a bunch of awards when I was shooting heavy, including State Singles Champion back in 2007, while shooting as part of the then AIM program, kind of shut down a petition at the time to run the youth shooters out of the state shoot for Georgia, which I thought was bullshit. Most of the guys I shoot with are good guy though, don't know how many times I have seen guys break guns and one of the guys I know go running to their truck to pull out a spare gun for the guy, and these are also the guys who run the state Amateur Trap program. Have run into my fair share of pricks though, but that is with any sport in all honesty. Trying to get my Coach certification so I can help coach my local 4H.

And you don't need a high dollar shotgun either, I ran my first 100 straight with a Ruger Red Label and as a sub junior with a 196 was only 2 birds away from State champion at the time. Seen a lot of guys who have won with 870s, still want an 870, though I want the police model to add to the inventory.

Feedback Score
    I thought trap was fun til I tried skeet and that was great until I did sporting clays and game over. I can still shoot skeet and enjoy it but trap really bores me. I'll shoot it with buddies occasionally but that's it now.

Feedback Score
    If it is orange and fly in any form in the skies over N WV or S PA I'll shoot it! Already about 1k rounds through my shotgun in the past 3 months. Love it! Though I hate when you get a trapper who rubs your sack all day trolling for a tip...But when you mix your good buddies and shotguns bookended by some clays you can't ever go wrong!!
    Never quit, can't loose.

Feedback Score
    but I don't like to shoot "informally" much. I need my score card to reference my quality, or lack there of, through out the day.
    Never quit, can't loose.

Feedback Score
    IMHO, the shotgun sports are the most fun one can have with a firearm. I like them all but the have the most access to trap and skeet. I wouldn't say trap bores me but I prefer skeet. Also, with skeet I can bring my Dad or a friend that doesn't have a shotgun as he can shoot mine.

Both of my clubs have very very serious clays cliques and all of them are very nice. I first started shooting skeet with my best friend and the hardcore regular guys always asked if we wanted to join them. They would then basically give us free lessons for as long as we wanted.

Too many people in the tactical crowd like to bash the traditional shooting sports which is sad. After seeing some of the tactical/practical guys shoot I started thinking it was out of jealousy. Most suck. The Bullseye and CMP shooters often out shoot the regulars at IDPA and our carbine/military rifle matches.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard and seen a lot of bashing of shooting sports, but one thing I always look at with the 4H club I came out of and work with is that its a way to bring a kid into shooting that teaches them to be safe, smart about guns, and gives them a good stepping stone as well as the ability, if they do stay with it, to make connections and network because you do get to meet people from all walks of life. Besides, trap and skeet are good for basic training at shooting moving targets and if the shooter is smart it should be able to translate to shooting targets while on the move by teaching them to us a negative lead, at least in theory. At any rate, someone with some shooting experience, regardless of what that is, is going to be easier to train to shoot other platforms well, since they do have basic principles of trigger control, sight alignment, stance, weapon fit understood and they aren't scared of the weapon which is the biggest issue I see when trying to teach anyone now a days to shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12