Thread: AAR-SouthNarc Vehicle Combatives and Shooting Tactics (VCAST) - Sept 9-11, 2011

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

AAR-SouthNarc Vehicle Combatives and Shooting Tactics (VCAST) - Sept 9-11, 2011

This was my first experience with SouthNarc and it will not be my last. From the get go it was a mind blowing experience and one of, if not the most relevant classes I have ever taken part of.

Paul from Grey Group get some pictures in here.

This class covered things that most of us would see as more real world than most of the classes that we tend to take. I missed the Friday night session so I cannot comment on it.

Saturday morning started with the most thorough well thought out safety brief I have seen. We worked out of cars of various sizes. SouthNarc demonstrated everything dry then live and we did same. We worked from both passenger and drivers positions with targets on both the same side and with vehicles facing the other direction the opposite direction. We used these skills to conduct a live fire with SouthNarc as our passenger while engaging targets out the passenger window, reversing the car and engaging the threat on the move after exiting the vehicle. We did this until about lunch time.

I had a previous engagement so I missed out on the remainder of Saturday's class. It is my understanding that the class continued doing practical exercises similar to being hit at a stop and addressing the threat from that point on. Maybe one of the guys from the class will chime in here.

Sunday morning found us working in the doorway of the vehicles. the exercise simulated being rushed when either exiting or getting into your vehicle and how to deal with it. This continued for a bit then the protective masks were broken out and this was done with simunitions. Each student was allowed to shoot through the windsheild of on of the vehicles to determine the effects on the bullet's path as it tranverses the windshield. It was amazing.

The class concluded with demonstations of keeping a low profile while driving and manuvering a vehicle as well as the use of tools like the back up camera in the "mom's grocery getter" type vehicle.

I don't think that this AAR will do a class like this justice. You have to see it for yourself to understand how great it was. There were students from all over the globe in this class. Typically, I have seen folks from east of the Mississippi in classes here on the east coast but there were several folks from the left coast and one from Sweden. SouthNarc has a loyal following of students and based on my little bit of time with him I can see why.

I will be looking for my next chance to train with him and to be honest, if you carry a gun for defense you should be looking hard at training like this.
    Last edited by chris914; 09-18-11 at 06:18.
    Former Vickers Shooting Method REI
    914 Consulting LLC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

ShivWorks:
    www.shivworks.com

Grey Group Training:
    www.greygrouptraining.com

More student comments should be coming soon, but for now I will start the photos.

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    I was lucky enough to attend the first open enrollment VCAST offering held in Virginia Beach. As always, I'm only comfortable reporting on the syllabus and teaching style. The details on the tactics, techniques, and procedures taught are best obtained in person from SouthNarc in class or on his forum.

The class was rooted in the context of operating as civilians in vehicles with one's family and countering criminal predators. While this may not have the man camp appeal of the balls out chest rigged team vehicle tactics class, even the ultimate Tier 1 operator must take his family to Walmart.

The syllabus covered the following:
    • Getting in and out of vehicles with good robust body mechanics
    • Parking lot tactics and counter (criminal predator) surveillance
    • Managing Unknown Contacts modified for getting in, out, and operating around vehicles.
    • Translation of the dominant position and narrowing field of threat concepts to parking and vehicle geometry
    • Shooting out of vehicles in all permutations of driver side across passenger, passenger side across drive, front, back etc.
    • Shooting around vehicles from the outside at threats outside
    • Shooting through glass both safety and regular. It was revealing to see what one's carry ammo would do.
    • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu mechanics applied to vehicles.
    • Lots of force on force evolutions ranging from handling a post collision contact with two unknowns while protecting a partner to VBJJ based in car rolling with sim guns.

This was the first time this class was run but one would never had known. SouthNarc always delivers as an instructor and he is unique in that he contextually underscores everything he teaches. My class mates were of a similar quality. This is an advanced class and the gun handling and training ethic in my class mates was something to aspire to.

We spend our lives on the street, in buildings, and in vehicles. I've taken SouthNarc's ECQC for the street and AMIS for buildings. VCAST built the third vehicle leg of that stall. All the principles behind the principles are common across the classes.
    Last edited by stff; 09-18-11 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

ShivWorks:
    www.shivworks.com

Grey Group Training:
    www.greygrouptraining.com

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)