Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS with 18in SS Barrel

Feedback Score

LMT MWS with 18in SS Barrel

I thought there was a thread about the MWS here in the semi-auto Precision forum, but I didn't see one since May. Thought I'd post here since it is about accuracy, not so much as the rifle?

Got my rifle back a month or so ago, haven't had a chance to shot it till today. Just made sure I was on paper and shot these groups to see if POI changed.

1Cm squares.

I'd say it is a 3cm rifle.
    LMT MWS with 18in SS barrel and 168 FGMM and PRVI ammo. Geissele Match trigger, Premier 3-15 MIL-Dot, PRS Stock and Slashes Heavy Buffer (like solid SS steel).

I think this is going to work. Kudos to LMT on working with me on my first SS barrel which had some machining marks just past the throat. This barrel is a thing of beauty. I think the LMTs are overgassed and the heavy, solid buffer from slash works just fine. Probably 120 rounds fired and no issues at all. I think the heavy buffer makes it just that bit more comfortable and managable to shoot.

These are the best groups I shot with both ammos. In more groups, the FGMM is more consistent than the PRVI. I also ran some PMC Bronze, that I mistakenly thought was PRVI. It is not as accurate as the PRVI, with groups opening up about at 1.5x.

Still getting used to the 308AR. Shot my hopped up JP 556 upper after this and it felt like a BB gun. Just learning to be the MWS master and not its bitch. I like it because it exposes flaws in my fundamentals that can be over looked and masked when shooting lighter recoiling guns.

Just joined a range that goes to 1000 yards with sillhoutte targets. Ummmm, fun to be had.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:56.

Feedback Score
    M4C was down the day I scanned the targets, so I wanted to post them somewhere

Not my home range, my shooting buddy asked 100y or 100m and I said meters, so that's what I assumed, though I didn't laz it. I'm all MIL?MIL on my scopes, so I'm trying to go metric for everything.

I've had it out about 4 times shooting prone for a total of about 300 or so shots. This was the first time that I felt like I was really controlling the rifle thru recoil and thus probably had a better hold on the rifle. I'm still experimenting with high high up (elevated) I want the rifle and how that affects my head position in relation to my tactical up-armouring in the midesection . I'm getting about 12 inches of movement during recoil and I think I can get that down a bit more with better position and maxing out the capabilites of the Atlas V8.

It really was fun shooting the 556 JP (adj gas/LMOS Carrier system) after the MWS. The MWS may be worth it just in the better fundamentals it demands in relation to the AR15 platform.

Just an orientation and work day away from membership at my new range. Hopefully I'll have cell coverage out there and I can have my 'Home office" in my Tahoe for a day and my boss won't know the difference.

LMT MWS- making spotters for steel unneeded.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Since I just got back from the range I guess it wouldnt hurt to post a quick RR on my MWS. Sorry for the low quality pics, they are from my iphone.

Rifle: MWS 16" chrome line barrel, Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x 36mm Mil Dot, and Harris Bipod.

Shooting was done from the prone supported only by the bipod

Temperature:typical Texas temps of high 90s.
    Ammo: Federal SMK 168gr
    Range: 100 yards
    Rounds per shot group: 10

The first group I shot 5 and took a 30 second pause, then shot 5 more.

The second group I shot all 10 without a pause.

I dont have any fancy software to measure but a handy ruler measured the maximum spread of the first group at exactly 1"

The second shot group measured just a hair under 1.25"

These were not "cherry picked groups" they are an example of how I did today. I have done better, I have also done worse.
    Last edited by OTO27; 09-19-11 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:56.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a bunch for plotting these for me, it’s interesting though that my ruler measured 1” spread for the first group but your software has them at .708”. I am very happy with those results.

These are definitely legit! There were some very reputable fellow Dallas PD officers next to me that witnessed 10 rounds being fired at each target and hitting. I shoot my MWS at this range at least once a week so it should be no surprised that odds are I have had better groups than these and also worse.

What I meant by the pause was just that, a pause, there was a large gust of wind, which kicked up a lot of dirt so I had to wait till it passed. We have had extreme drought here for a while so it was very dusty and dry. I figured it would be worth mentioning as I normally fire the groups without any pause and this may have lead to slightly better grouping due to the barrel cooling off a bit.

Not sure what you mean by the first group“not looking legit” Anyways the bottom right hole was the cold bore shot, the rest fell mostly at the 7 o clock of the red and the I threw the last shot to the bottom left.

The second looks a bit more "legit" as it has a more traditional spread, maybe because the bore was already warmed up a bit from the first 10 shot group.

ETA: keep in mind you are looking at my target from an Iphone pic, even with the nake eye I could only count 8 holes on my first group, but believe me 10 rounds were fired, the mag was loaded with 10 only and shot till it was out.

By the way the second pic is back wards, if you flip it you can tell that both targets POIs are roughly the same. Not sure if this is enough evidence for you that they are legit. Something tells me the only thing I can do to convince you is draging you out to my range.

I really do like your skepticism, I take that as a complement.
    Last edited by OTO27; 09-20-11 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Firstly, what exactly do you mean by taking a "pause" when shooting these groups...moreover, what exactly is it trying to convey about either the rifle, the shooter, or the ammo.

Secondly, I happen to have some fancy software and went ahead a measured your groups for you...either your completely posting phony groups, or your 16" CL barrel and shooting abilities on a .308 gas gun are literally world record setting and unlike anything that I have seen or even thought possible.

Finally your last statement quoted below left me no choice in believing that those results are purely fabricated and false. It was near impossible to believe those results if they were your all time best groups, but to hear that they aren't and you have done better in your words defies logic and reason.

"These were not "cherry picked groups" they are an example of how I did today. I have done better, I have also done worse."

Not only are the group sizes an absolute red flag, the bullet placement within them doesn't even come close to looking legit. On your first target , you shot 4rds that had distinct bullet holes...then somehow you managed to get the other 6 rds. to form one large ragged hole roughly double the diameter of a .308. Your second target is a little better with 5 distinct bullet holes but with a bit larger ragged hole where the other 5 rds hit.

Lastly, I'm not sure anyone has more confidence and belief in the truly amazing accuracy capable from this one piece chassis, and Rock barrel system that is the MWS...and as much as I truly do want to believe those groups, they raise every red flag as high as it will go in my book. I have shot way to many groups to buy the results above.
    Another red flag: The measurements you came up with are nowhere near his claimed measurements of 1" and 1.25". You might want to consider the possibility that the target is an 8" Shoot-N-C.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:57.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I only calculated the outside shots and identifiable shots. 6 for the first target and 7 for the 2nd. This using the mentioned 8" outside edge to edge diameter of the target.

I ain't gonna say its bunk but just that it would be extremely good shooting with a CL MWS. I think 1.5-2.25 would be more realistic based on the many MWS user reports and of course varied shooters. Below that is possible just you don't see too many with 10 shot groups below 1.5 MOA, and certainly a rarity below 1 MOA.

Feedback Score
    Oto, are those handloads? If so, you need to share!

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast