Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun hunting

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Handgun hunting

How many handgun hunters are there here?

I have been hooked ever since I took my first buck with a Colt Anaconda. Can't say I have shot anything since then, but the odd chance I get to go out I take my S&W 629.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have rarely handgun hunted in the sense of buying a purpose built gun and looking for game using it, but I have whacked a deer, several coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, and prairie dogs with a pistol.

Almost all of the above were with a .22 revolver, a .357mag or a 9mm

I have thought about getting a Glock 20 again, but the retarded rules here for legal pistol calibers disallows 10mm for deer.

Feedback Score
    I've been using a Thompson Center Contender with scoped .44Mag for hog and deer and .223 for coyotes, and .22Mag for rodents for the last 35 years. It is an awesome gun when you know that one shot is all it takes.

Feedback Score

Handgun hunting

I have hunted exclusively with a handgun(.44 revolver) here in Alaska for the last 42 years.
    In the early days, people considered it a stunt,now it is more widely accepted!!
    Bob

Feedback Score
    i have a ruger bisley superblackhawk hunter in 41 magnum. ive always wanted to try shooting a deer (or any critter) with it but i keep getting caught up in rifle configurations. this thread just might get me out there with the handgun this year. thanks for the reminder. might as well try it. not many people try it in my neck of the woods. sorry for crappy cell phone pic...

Feedback Score
    I have not hunted with a handgun, but i would love to take a buck with my 1911

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by high plain drifter View Post
    i have a ruger bisley superblackhawk hunter in 41 magnum. ive always wanted to try shooting a deer (or any critter) with it but i keep getting caught up in rifle configurations. this thread just might get me out there with the handgun this year. thanks for the reminder. might as well try it. not many people try it in my neck of the woods. sorry for crappy cell phone pic...

I have the exact same setup except in 44 mag. Looks like the same Leupold scope also. I've shot both hogs and deer with it. I'm hooking up with a buddy to go bear hunting this winter here in NC. They usually run the bears through the swamps with dogs and when bayed up you pretty much have to get in the middle of the dogs and bear up close and personal like. I'll be taking the scope off for close in work like that. Should be pretty exciting to say the least.

Feedback Score
    i cant tell if i really care for a scope on a handgun. its only a 2x power i think so you wouldnt really be gaining much. plus its ALOT handier and lighter with out it. hunting bears up close would be a challenge with a scoped revolver. i think i would take the scope off too.

Feedback Score
    I started about 9 years ago hunting with a G2 Contender in .375JDJ. I also have a 6.5JDJ barrel, both from SSK and topped with a Leupold 2.5-8x. I will never go back to a rifle for big game hunting since I found this TC, unless I get the chance to use my Sharps. Both cartridges have taken deer every year, with the 6.5 being the eye-opener. It isn't very spectacular in the velocity department, but the deer didn't get that memo...they drop when properly hit. I did one at 126 yards, 210 lbs live weight, shooting out of a platform stand over a food plot. He dropped immediately. I expected that out of my .375 because it is a big round, but the 6.5 was a giant surprise. Almost broadside, right behind the shoulder. It was a WOW moment.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been hunting (deer) only using this old .44 mag Super Blackhawk for over 30 years. It's been a great hunting tool. The trigger has been lightened up. The stock grip is painful, normally use a Pachmayer. I used to handload for it, but don't really shoot it enough to justify that anymore, but it does very well with just factory ammo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast