Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Handgun hunting

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Has anyone shot Buffaloe Bore ammunition out of their 44mags? If so, what bullet and what were you hunting. I'm thinking about using the 270gr JFN ammunition they load. It's a pretty stout load and may be way too much for deer and hogs. Main use will be for hogs though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've killed several deer with handguns, plus a boatload of small game.

I still-hunt deer in very thick brush. Around here, 30m is a long shot. Smith 44s have perfect sights and triggers, and ammo is easy to find. A Springfield Range Officer would be perfect if you like autos and someday I'll try to drop one with a G17 and duty-grade ammo. A four-inch barrel is plenty, but it's easier to hit beyond 25m with more barrel. I've used long-barreled Rugers and Smiths, but nowadays, anything from four to six inches is plenty for the way I hunt.

I had a phase where I had to have something like a 325-grain bullet at 1,200 fps for deer, but it gave me a horrific flinch that took me years to cure. Now, I like a 250-grain 44 or 45 slug at 850-1,000 fps for deer. Just punch a big hole in the lungs and get your knife out.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 09-05-12 at 18:07. Reason: subject/verb agreement, unclear antecedent
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    As far as deer are concerned I'm shooting Winchester 250gr Platinum Tip HP. Works great and is accurate out of my Super Blackhawk Hunter. I'd like to try the Buffalor Bore for hogs and bear and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have shot a few boxes of Buffalo Bore, but have never taken an animal with it. I will have plenty of time to hunt this fall and I may try that for early doe. I'll let you know if I have any results.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sounds good

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sounds good. I'm going to order some and try it out also. I'll post results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345