Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handgun hunting

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are some great pictures here!

So here's a question for youse guys who have way more experience with this....is a 4" 629 going to give me far less performance on deer? The reason I ask is that I have a 3" and a 7.5" and I kinda need some extra cash to fund another AR build. I like the 3" for outdoor stuff like hiking, canoeing, etc and I use the 7.5" for hunting. Will a 4" 629 do me wrong on deer or is it not as big a concern as I tend to think?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    What are your states game laws concerning barrel length? Here in NC minimum length is 5.5". If I remember right this is due to a hundgun cartridge being at least a min caliber and obtain at least a certain MZ velocity. That is how they came up with the min barrel length.

As far as performance I would think that the shorter length will decrease max effective range and accuracy.

Feedback Score
    High Tower,
    i don't think you are going to lose to much going to a 4" for most deer hunts. i've taken six deer over the years with a Glock 21 and the longest shot was about 60 yds.. most of them didn't go to far one or two were recovered with in 25 yards or so from the first shot. hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    High Tower,
    i don't think you are going to lose to much going to a 4" for most deer hunts. i've taken six deer over the years with a Glock 21 and the longest shot was about 60 yds.. most of them didn't go to far one or two were recovered with in 25 yards or so from the first shot. hope this helps.

Yes it does - thanks! By my figuring, it should work just fine, but I thought I would check to see what others had experienced.

Watrdawg - MI does not restrict barrel length. It just has to be at least .35, a straight wall cartridge, and cannot have more than 9 rounds total. Good point though - when I lived in WI, they had a law about that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I remember that for MI now. I'm from the UP and I was astounded when my uncle came to deer camp with a short barreled .357.

Feedback Score

Rugers work for me, 44's and 45 colt!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    What are your states game laws concerning barrel length? Here in NC minimum length is 5.5". If I remember right this is due to a hundgun cartridge being at least a min caliber and obtain at least a certain MZ velocity. That is how they came up with the min barrel length.
    I'm a bit late to the party but...

The minimum barrel length requirements were removed quite some time ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried elk hunting a couple times using a 44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk and Garrett hard cast bullets. Never filled a tag though

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

i'd like more info on THIS!

did it survive a fire, and a new lower half put on?
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    Watrdawg - MI does not restrict barrel length. It just has to be at least .35, a straight wall cartridge, and cannot have more than 9 rounds total
    Those restrictions only apply to the Shotgun Zone. If you're in Rifle Zone then any cartridge with any caliber greater than .22 rimfire (.44 rimfire is legal) and any barrel length is legal. No capacity restriction.

See page 28 right hand column.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast