Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M16 Still in Service

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    You should see what my Army Reserve unit has in its armory. We received a bunch of Colt AR-15s about 6-months ago and they were in pretty bad shape. These guns are honest-to-goodness AR-15s that were converted to M-16A1s (full-auto) and then subsequently converted to M16A2s (burst).

All they did was stamp 'M16A1' onto the receivers. Then they ground out the '1s' from the 'M16A1' and the 'AUTO' and stamped in '2s' and 'BURST' over top. Overall, a sorry state of affairs for a unit that tends to deploy quite a bit.
    They aren't converted semi-autos, they're just old receivers. The original M16 and many M16A1s were marked "AR-15".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M16s have been available to law enforcement agencies through the DOD 1208/1033/LESO program for many years. Variants include the earliest variants to the more modern. Some agencies have been shipped guns that should have been placed in museums rather than shipped.

Some put the guns to good use as shipped. They are GI quality, built in spec, reliable, and perform well. Others convert them into different forms or "improve" them, buggering them all up.

A nearby agency received a batch of unissued early guns rollmarked XM16E1. On the training range, their BCGs were sprayed with CLP, and they fired several hundred rounds each.

I carried a 20" A1 type as a patrol rifle for awhile. Not as handy as my current gun, but still serviceable. There are plenty still around.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    They aren't converted semi-autos, they're just old receivers. The original M16 and many M16A1s were marked "AR-15".
    Yup. The first M16 I ever fired was an M16A1 with A2 hand guards that was stamped "Colt AR-15" when I was a Cadet at Norwich University. I used to have a Polaroid (remember those lol) of it somewhere.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Too bad Clinton prevented those old M-16s from being made available through the CMP.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Feedback Score
    It was not Clinton that prevented the release of F/A guns through CMP. It was done long before he took office.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office received M-16s, mostly A1's, through this program. Almost every Deputy on patrol and many detectives carry them and yes they are still F/A. Several have had the uppers changed to flat top with shorter barrels (10.3 to 16 inches). This changes were made after the agency received them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    It was not Clinton that prevented the release of F/A guns through CMP. It was done long before he took office.
    What can we do to fix the problem?
    Last edited by yellowfin; 11-08-11 at 10:14.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    A good start would be to repeal the 68 Gun Control Act and the May 19, 1986 ban on transferable automatic weapons.

I don't think either is going to happen, at least anytime soon.

Do you see a pattern? Beware of years that have a 6 and 8 together in the last two digits, they are bad for gun owners and the 2nd amendment.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Yup. The first M16 I ever fired was an M16A1 with A2 hand guards that was stamped "Colt AR-15" when I was a Cadet at Norwich University. I used to have a Polaroid (remember those lol) of it somewhere.
    Decodeddies I went to the Wick too. Did you ever get to see the Singer 1911! That gun made me salavate we even got to shoot it .

Guys check out this thread for some old warriors still in action.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58837

Here is the rollmark of the the gun we received last year. It now has a BCM 11.5" upper on it.

Last edited by usmcvet; 11-09-11 at 17:02. Reason: added photos
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Decodeddies I went to the Wick too. Did you ever get to see the Singer 1911! That gun made me salavate we even got to shoot it .
    I did, though I never got to shoot it. I was happy though to get to shoot an M14 on FA on a couple of occasions and M16s and M16A1s quite a bit. The M60s they had were also in great shape, and are great shooters. There's actually a ton of very cool old weapons there. I think the one that took the cake was the 45-70 Colt Gatling Gun they had rebuilt, and was finished my 2nd (and final lol) year there.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-09-11 at 10:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    LAPD had some long guns. Watch some videos of the SLA shootout in the 1970's and they did have quite a few long guns at their disposal.

Heres one: http://youtu.be/Ofbvgjl6MhA

What is that rifle at 1:10?

AR-18?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast