Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M16 Still in Service

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    They aren't converted semi-autos, they're just old receivers. The original M16 and many M16A1s were marked "AR-15".
    yep

It was the AR-15 BEFORE it was the M-16 IIRC. The DoD bought 1000 and sent them to Vietnam as part of a special project. Later they bought a metric buttload for the Army (XM16E1 with For Assist) and the Air Force (M16 -- just the AR-15 stamped M16).
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    yep

It was the AR-15 BEFORE it was the M-16 IIRC. The DoD bought 1000 and sent them to Vietnam as part of a special project. Later they bought a metric buttload for the Army (XM16E1 with For Assist) and the Air Force (M16 -- just the AR-15 stamped M16).

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    A good start would be to repeal the 68 Gun Control Act and the May 19, 1986 ban on transferable automatic weapons.

I don't think either is going to happen, at least anytime soon.

Do you see a pattern? Beware of years that have a 6 and 8 together in the last two digits, they are bad for gun owners and the 2nd amendment.
    so you're saying we're good to for another 57 years?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    so you're saying we're good to for another 57 years?
    Also have the 34 to worry about.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm all for training, but the very phrase "DHS" makes me uneasy.

Full disclosure--I'm a retired federal LEO. Power corrupts, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
    What is that rifle at 1:10?

AR-18?
    LAPD did use AR-18's in that shootout.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Decodeddies I went to the Wick too. Did you ever get to see the Singer 1911! That gun made me salavate we even got to shoot it .

Guys check out this thread for some old warriors still in action.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58837

Here is the rollmark of the the gun we received last year. It now has a BCM 11.5" upper on it.
    I was issued an M16 with the exact same roll mark last week during an Air Force exercise. Still being used and in pretty good shape too. A2 upper with an Auto lower receiver still present. I was about to tear it apart to look at the guts but Air Force people aren't supposed to get excited about guns...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    I was issued an M16 with the exact same roll mark last week during an Air Force exercise. Still being used and in pretty good shape too. A2 upper with an Auto lower receiver still present. I was about to tear it apart to look at the guts but Air Force people aren't supposed to get excited about guns... Spooky
    The AF gets a lot out of its rifles. M16s become GAUs, become M4s, become...

The poor receivers, though. Last model # gets scratched out, new one gets stamped in. Some almost seem to run out of room, given enough travel or service life.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    I was issued an M16 with the exact same roll mark last week during an Air Force exercise. Still being used and in pretty good shape too. A2 upper with an Auto lower receiver still present. I was about to tear it apart to look at the guts but Air Force people aren't supposed to get excited about guns...

Spooky
    Wasn't it the Air Force that got us the M16 to begin with because Curtis LeMay liked the AR15 personally?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Yes they have a program for LE dept's to get older M16's. I think it is through DRMO. Actually putting them to use sounds a lot better than meeting a chopping block.
    We have 20 of them at our department. All but one are issued to deputies are are serving the public everyday. The only change we made was to make them semi-auto only.

They work great still!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast